3: One Way or Another

♕Emily Brown♕

The next day, history class rolled by quickly since I dreaded every time the bell rang or the clock ticked as it moved me one moment closer to having to work with Matt. As usual, I was the first person to enter the class and Mrs. Walter was already sitting there wearing her gold rimmed glasses, marking quizzes and making circular motions on her temple with her free hand. I shuffled towards her. "Mrs. Walter, I was wondering if could exchange partners," I said calmly even though I was desperately hoping she'd say yes.

She let out an annoyed sigh and took of her glasses that doubled as a necklace, hanging around her neck, like the ones my grandma used to have. "Emily, if I let you switch partners then it wouldn't be fair. The next thing you know, Bridget will want to be with Matt, Anthony and Tyler and then there'd be absolute turmoil in class." 

"But, but-," I stuttered, trying to come up with a good enough reason. "I really need the money and Matt's not going to help at all."

"I guess if he agrees, I could let you switch," Mrs. Walter gave in dismissively.

"As if," Someone said teasingly from behind. Mrs. Walter looked over my shoulder and let out a nearly inaudible irritated groan. I followed her eyes and turned around, regretting that I did when I saw who it was. Matt was leaning on the doorway with his arms crossed, giving me an egotistic smirk. 

"What do you want?" I snarled, sort of embarrassed he caught me asking to switch partners. There was no way I could work with Matt. He had nothing to contribute to the project and on top of that, I have to help him in order for him to pass the test so our project could be approved and eligible for the $10,000; not that Matt would care anyways, he was already loaded.

"So quick to ditch me already?" 

"Just leave me alone if you're not going to switch."

"Hey, I'm not the one with a problem here," Matt replied, using his 'I'm so smart' attitude that bothered the heck out of me.

"You see what I have to work with?" I asked Mrs. Walter while dramatically waving my hand towards Matt, showing her who I was talking about.

"You mean 'who', genius," he whispered into my ear as he walked by to take a seat when the class started filling up.

Frustrated, I sat as far away as Matt as possible which was always the front of the classroom. "Today we will work on our projects, use your class time wisely," Mrs. Walter said, standing up to address the class before sitting back down to mark quizzes.

♔Matt Klarner♔

 "She's not a historical leader, you dweeb!" Emily criticized, punching my in the arm when I suggested to do the project on Marilyn Monroe instead. "Ugh, I can't believe I'm stuck with you!" she carried on as she threw her hands up frantically in defeat. 

"It's not my fault Lucy got mono and Carter dropped out. You should actually be grateful you got me as your partner. Most girls would love to be in your position," I insisted, slightly puzzled on how she can resist me.

"Well I'd be glad to give up the position if you'd let me," she admitted in an irritated tone.

I accidentally let out a laugh at how desperate she was to give me up, but quickly closed my mouth. I glanced around and hoped no one heard. I didn't want Bridget or Tyson to know that I was kind of enjoying Emily's company- even though she wasn't enjoying mine- or else they'd give me shit for it. 

Emily pointed at a picture of some old guy in our textbook. "Wow, Aristotle tutored Alexander."

"He's old," I managed to spit out while chewing on my turkey sandwich. Mrs. Walter didn't mind if people ate in class, not that I really cared for a teacher's permission anyways.