Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:

A mistake. I had made another one. I was sure of it.

I stared at the door before me, my heart racing and palms sweating. I wasn’t used to waking up in strange places, and I was freaking out.

Past the door I could hear the buzz of conversation. I’d never woken up to hear that noise before.

Yelling? Sure.

The sound of things smashing? Every other day.

Conversation? Never.

Is this normal?

It was strange, but not unpleasant. However I couldn’t convince my body of that. I couldn’t convince my heart that was pounding twice as fast as a regular one should. I couldn’t convince my legs that seemed to have lost the capability of moving. I couldn’t convince my muscles that were all tensed, ready for an attack.

But who was going to attack me?

Michael? Rose? Jayden?

They all seemed like pretty laughable reasons to be so afraid in the logical side of my brain.

So why did my heart feel like it was about to explode in fear?

Forcing down the rising fear I took a glance into the mirror that was hanging above the bed. I looked awful. My hair had been sticking up on all sorts of random directions when I had woken up, and although I had tried patting it down it hadn’t worked very well.

My make up from last night was also smudging away, and if you looked carefully enough you could see the carefully concealed bruise across my cheek. And if you looked harder you could almost see the shape of a hand.

I licked my lips trying to calm down my haywire nerves.

There was nothing to be afraid of. Nobody would even be looking that closely at me. I only thought it was so obvious because to me it was.

Forcing myself to exit the room I went downstairs, towards the sounds of conversation.

As I got closer I could also smell breakfast.

Warm. Home cooked. Breakfast.

Hunger pains stabbed at me. I hadn’t had a proper meal in forever. And the last time I had eaten had been at the Blue Diamond when I had snuck in a snack in my break.

That had been the night before last.

My stomach was pulling my forwards, demanding to be fed. Cautiously I poked my head around the doorway, smelling the delicious smell. I wasn’t a good cook on my best days, no one had ever taught me.

I did however know how to pick up a phone and order a meal like a pro.

The Parker family were sat around the table, talking to each other. My eyes landed on Michael whose face was no longer a tear stained mess, but the home of a wide smile.

Jayden was sat opposite his brother, buttering toast, whilst their mother was stood at the cooker making breakfast.

It took a while for them to notice I had entered the room.

“KAYLEIGH!” Michael was the first to spot me, and he immediately abandoned his food to run across the room towards me.

My eyes widened as he tackled my stomach into a bear hug.

The other two looked up at me now, both with smiles on their faces.

 “You’re awake!” Rose greeted me taking the saucepan off of the cooker and rolling sausages onto a plate. “Hope you’re hungry.” She told me.