The First Meeting

The sounds of everyone shifting through their lockers and chattering excitedly was tiring. I never pulled anything from my locker since I never kept much in it to begin with. I never had much use for textbooks and notebooks. My photographic memory saw to that. Which was why Havenbrook was the perfect place for me.

Havenbrook was a private school that specialized in geniuses. Whether they were academic or athletic, the school was ecstatic to have them. Also, since it was a proven fact that exercise improved academic ability and performance, the school required everyone to take an athletic class throughout their time at Havenbrook.

Although I couldn't stand exercise, I chose dance as my elective since it sounded pretty interesting. My father thought it was a girl's sport but it was a class I didn't automatically hate, so it's fine.

Now though, it was the middle of the day. I was waiting for Garrett, my partner in devious deeds, to get whatever he'd left in class, so we could head out for lunch.

I leaned against my locker, my eyes set at half mass as I lightly dozed, my hands tucked deep inside my jean pockets. I didn't say the cafeteria since we always ate out seeing as the lunch food was atrocious. Even though Havenbrook was a private school, they hadn't thought to hire a great chef. My parents were stingy when they gave me allowance, they only gave me a thousand dollars. But I used my money to buy lunch for Garrett and me.

The sudden outbreak of discontent that swept the crowd broke me from my daze.

" Oh no! Garrett's got that look in his eyes again." I blinked my eyes open once,to peek, and I groaned. The guy's were being abnormally perceptive today. Garrett was looking toward the entrance with a slightly cheesy grin lifting his lips and his eyes had a glazed look about them. Having known Garrett since we could move our bodies free of parental constraint, I knew that sparkling glint anywhere. He tended to get weird with girls he liked.

" Jaime do something, quick!" I scoffed, they should know by now that that look meant any attempt on my part would be driven into the ground and rendered useless. And that Garrett would get what he wanted. With his looks, which had fully emerged in eighth grade, any girl, no matter how tightly closed her legs were, would easily give in.

Now to explain the situation a bit, Garrett and I went way back, so far back that our first baby pictures featured us as cradle twins, fraternal twins that is. Although Garrett was only a week older than me, our looks were totally opposite, as much as our personalities.

Garrett sported the tanned skin and gold locks of a surfer, even his eyes were the complete copy of the sky before first light, a deep turbulent blue that bordered violet tones.

So you can imagine how his popularity skyrocketed with the girls populating our city. His personality didn't take to that attention very well though.

While Garrett is the athletic and handsome one, I garner more for my intelligence. It's my chosen selling point. With black unruly curls that chose to stay out of any rubber I managed to tie it into- my hair grew passed my shoulders- and dirty brown eyes, I wasn't much to look at although Garrett insisted I had had the cool rocker look going for me, I couldn't help but disagree.

I turned to analyze what had caught the twinkle of Garrett's eye. It was a girl, obviously, but she was really normal. Straight blonde without a hair out of place and watery blue eyes. The only thing remarkable about her was her breast size.

She stood at the edge of the hallway, right next to the office window, her girls' academy style clothes made her seem preppy. His type. Now I realized why she was so entrancing to him. I chuckled low under my breath, won't this be interesting?