Chapter 5- Facing facts

Chapter 5

A week later...

I’m already missing Casper... I’m sat alone doing things that I don’t really want to do- having pyjama days, jobless, eating junk food, not bothering to go to the gym and do my usual stuff. I even thought about buying a puppy to play with, but Ryan’s allergic to dogs... Robin is out of my life now... I ended our relationship... Our 1 and a half year relationship to have a break... A break from the world... And life... Besides the fact, I had to get ready... My aunt is coming to visit us...

“Now then Teddie,” she said squeezing my cheeks like I was a five year old. I let her in and did the usual cup of tea duties.

“Hey.”

“So, you lost your job?” She asked me. She must have seen my status on Facebook. She was a Facebook addict... Quite literally...

“Yeah, I did,” I answered.

“Good...”

“Why’s that good?” I got confused.

“I want you to be my apprentice,” she paused and waited for me to reply.

“What do you mean?”

“I want you to be my apprentice at the maternity unit in the hospital... We’re not supposed to do it, but as I own the hospital, I thought that I probably should give you a chance...” She grinned.

“No, I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t want to be a midwife and I have to go to college,” I told her. Okay, this is going to sound weird, but I really wanted to be an archaeologist. I was so inspired by fossils and finding out about the past. Anyway, back onto the subject...

“You will get paid... I will pay you... Instead of going to college, you’ll be practically working full time...”

“I can’t... I’m not into blood and babies and stuff,” I moaned.

“Teddie, this is a good opportunity...” She went on trying to persuade me to take on her job offer.

“Thanks, it is a good opportunity, but it’s not my kinda thing,” I said.

“I’m not taking ‘no’ for an answer... You only have to try it out for a few weeks and if you don’t like it, then you can go back to college,” she explained. I thought for a few minutes.

“Fine, I’ll do it... If I don’t like it then I’m going straight back to college,” I made it clear to her. “When do I start?”

“Tomorrow,” she said.

“But it’s Sunday...”

“You work three days on and then three days off... I’m back at work tomorrow... I’ll pick you up on my way,” she informed me.

“This is lame...” I mumbled under my breath.

“I’ll get you sorted out with your work clothes tomorrow,” she said. I raised my eyebrows and just accepted it. “I’m not having you snooping around whilst your brothers are out there working!”

“Okay... Thanks by the way,” I accepted. I know I’m going to hate the whole midwife thing, but I’ll try it out anyway...

The very next morning was SO hard to get up! Although, I did eventually get up. Like the past couple of days, the sky looked quite glum, but the sun was trying to break through. I wrapped my mother’s dressing gown around my cold body and stumbled down the stairs. Like every morning, I made myself a cup of tea and ate the usual two slices of wholemeal bread. I was quite strange in the sense that I preferred bread to toast. What was even stranger was that I actually cared about how much fibre and calories I ate in a day. I sat, once again, alone at the breakfast bar before I went back upstairs to get ready. I rubbed in a slight bit of foundation and blush. I drew the usual eyebrows on and in the off chance; I put mascara and eyeliner on. I debated whether or not to wear Jessie’s clothes, but chose against the idea. ‘I HAD to change,’ I thought.