Chapter Twelve "Into the forests..."

Chapter Twelve: The smell of Rain

I shuffled trough the muddy wetlands. The Colony was still visible from behind, and the Military of Saarlen would come very quick.
"Well, I see we're nearing the forests... do you know any safe places around here?" The woman asked.
"Not really... but I still don't know your name..." I replied
"Oh, bad of me to forget that, my name is Carina Grizz, Head System Operator onboard the U.H.A.B.S. Fortune..."
"I'm Keely George, colonist and just-discovered Carthagan..." The world rolled out of my mouth.
"You're a WHAT??" Carina asked while she looked to me with big eyes.
I hesitated, but then said "I'll explain you later, now we've got to go te the forests...".

The forests looked much like Earth's, but all trees and bushes were different.  A few birds flew up: Ambellic Parrots. Just the ones like Berry. I wondered if he survived...
"RRRAAAAA....... COLONY.....COLONY....." I heard. I looked up, but saw nothing. I heard the same again, this time from my left side. I walked toward a tree and looked up. An Ambellic Parrot sat on the tree, looking around. That would be Berry, I've learned him some "words", but it wasn't actually more then some babbling.
"Berry.... come here!" I yelled. He looked down and was satisfied to see me again. He jumped off the tree. It spread it's wings and flew a round. He landed on my shoulder after it. I stroke his head, what he usally liked.

I could see the overgrown ranger station, just under some trees. Carina approached it and investigated it.
"Strange, I see some fresh traces here, probably army boots. You're sure this is inhabitated for a long time?" She asked.
I nod, and walked toward her. I could see the sole prints of a boot, freshly made. I looked to the station again.
"It seems someone tried to enter it..." While I pointed to the wire box.
Carine stood up and walked toward it. She connected a few wires, and not much later the door zipped op. She held her rifle and aimed inside. She walked inside and toggled her flashlight on.

Suddently, someone grabbed me and covered my mouth with his hand. I struggled until I saw Carina getting knocked to the wall. I weakened... I was exhausted anyway...