Chapter Eight "City of Ruins"

Chapter Eight: No one left

I don't know what happened. I was sitting there, near a pile of rubble. I cried, because everyone was dead. I couldn't find Rogier as well, I thought he might have died. No one could survive that mass attack. It really came unexpected. I looked over the pile of rubble. I saw them. Those things that looked like humans, but they were transparent and quite bigger. I quickly sat down again, hoping they won't find me.

The sky was gray. Gray and tragic. Our last hope, the Fortune, just crashed not far away from me. I could see the wreck, crashed into the surface of the planet. I was thinking if someone could have survived that crash. I hesitated, but I stood up and looked around the corner. There was nobody, except some dead bodies. I quickly ran to the next house block, and took cover behind it. Again nobody. I ran again, when suddently two of those creature walked from behind the corner. I lied down on the ground quickly, hoping they would think I was dead. I saw them walking by, and they disappeared around the next corner.

There it was. The Fortune. I was lying on the hills, spread in several pieces. There were still some fires burning. I noticed it got warmer and warmer when I closed in. I walked over some pieces of metal and electronics, while the big wreck was in front of me. It was ripped apart and burnt due the re-entry into the atmosphere. I read some astronomy-books sometimes, when I was bored. I closed in to the middle part, and looked for an entrance. I found an airlock, blasted open. I climbed into to airlock and entered the spacecraft. Everything was torn apart, and there were gases leaking everywhere.

I entered the communications room, when I heard some coughing. I looked up and saw somebody lying on the ground. It seemed to be a brown-haired woman, with some injuries and a ripped jumpsuit. I ran to her, and looked. She cought very much, probably due the foul air. There was a device next to her. It seemed to be a sort of breathing apparatus. I pressed it against her face, and pumped air into it.

There she sat on a chair. She thanked me a lot, but didn't exactly know what happened.

"The... the Colony was attacked and has lost against these forces." I said.

"How many  troops were here?" She asked.

"Ehrm... I thought there were only 60 troops."

"Unbelievable, Dester had 6000 troops and has lost against these... these things."

She seemed to cry, but she wasn't. She looked to the damaged computer screens, and sighted.

"What actually happened with this ship?" I asked.

"I don't know, we were in orbit, making the ship ready, when we probably got attacked." She said. "But.... but how did you get here? I gues there is much oxygen leaking in the lower compartiments."

"Simply, I just entered the ship trough the blasted airlock." I replied

She was still looking a little confused. "Did you use a spacesuit to get in here?" she asked.

"No, I just entered it from the ground. The ship has crashed on the planet a hour ago." I said. 

She looked to me with big eyes, and almost felt  off her chair.

"On the planet? But... but... are you a colonist then?"

"Yes, and I'm probably the only survivor."