IX

NINE

-Isabel-

"You can go on your break now, Is." I turn at the sound of Megan's voice as she comes in through the back exit of the club.

The two of us have become quite close over the course of the last few weeks—close enough that she's nicknamed me. I've stuck with her and I've learnt a lot about the business. Recently, I've also been trying to obtain some information from her about the owner. But Megan seems reluctant to bite.

When I asked her about him a couple of days ago, her eyes went all dreamy before she hardened them completely and said, and I quote, "All you need to know about Axel Knight is that he's a man whore who's also too sweet for his own good. Oh and Cierra is like his lifeline or something."

I didn't understand what she meant when she said that Cierra is his 'lifeline'. I've not seen Axel and Cierra together but what Megan said told me their relationship might be an interesting one to observe.

"Thanks, Meg." Handing her the empty tray in my hand, I slip into the staff room behind the bar and grab my purse.

Once I'm outside, I breathe in the crisp night air and tug my phone out. Six missed calls flashed on the screen—all from Ariel. I know why she was calling so instead of giving her a ring back, I text her.

Need to ask the big boss about VIP booth. Call u tonight if he allows it x

To say I'm nervous would be an understatement. I'm standing outside of Axel Knight's office door trying to find the courage to knock. Suck it up, Belle and knock. I raise my fist and tap my knuckles against the wood before I talk myself out of it.

A muffled grunt sounds on the inside before the door swings open. "What?"

The word is clipped when it leaves Axel's mouth. He's standing in front of me with a dishevelled appearance. His tie is loose, the first few buttons of his white shirt undone and he's not wearing a suit jacket like he normally does. He still looks insanely handsome. I blush the minute I realise what I interrupted when the leggy brunette that I didn't notice before, comes up from behind him and wraps her arms around his torso while placing her inflated lips against his neck.

"Isabel?" Axel's voice is considerably soft this time.

"Um, hi." I clear my throat as my eyes flit to where the brunette nips Axel's earlobe in between her teeth—unfazed by my presence. "Sorry. I didn't know you were busy. I can come back later when..." I don't finish my sentence and quickly turn to run away from him.

Before I can take my second step, a callous hand clasps around my wrist and stops me. Without turning, I close my eyes and wait for him to say something.

"Hailey, leave us."

I'm assuming he's talking to the brunette. The assumption is confirmed when she whines a protest.

"Come on, Axel. We were just getting started, baby." Her voice is husky and dripping with sex. Ugh. The sound of her kissing along his skin makes me cringe and I unintentionally fist the hand that Axel has a hold of and try to twist it away but he firms his grip.

"Get the fuck outta here, Hailey." Axel's command receives a scoff from the brunette before she brushes past, fires a glare at me over her shoulder and then struts off.

"Come inside, Isabel." Why does his voice affect me so much? I tug at my hand once more and this time, Axel lets go.

With my head down, I turn and walk into his office. The sound of his door closing seems to echo loud in the silence. "Take a seat."