III

THREE

-Axel-

"Axel?" I hear Maxwell call out for me as I slip on some boxers after a shower.

"In the bedroom," I call back. "I'll be out in a second."

When I come back out a minute later with a pair of thin, blue cargo shorts on., I find Maxwell chomping on some biscuits Rita—my cook and maid—left out for me.

"Please, just scoff all my oatmeal cookies down and leave none for me."

"Like Rita won't cook up another batch for you as soon as they're gone. That old woman is so far gone for you; her menopause doesn't even stop her from getting wet when she looks at you." Gross.

"Dude, what the fuck is the matter with you? Rita's like a mother to me."

"Sure." He winks and I shoot him a disgusted look. "Anyway," Maxwell starts, "How did the opening of Knight's Strip go on Tuesday. Sorry I couldn't make it. Piper's been riding my ass about going to her dad's for dinner for the longest time. I couldn't cancel again."

"You are so whipped," I tell him with a laugh. Piper Jane has been Maxwell's girlfriend for the last four years. I don't know why he hasn't proposed to that girl yet. No other person would put up with the shit that she does with Max. And let me tell you, the guy did well for himself. She's way out of his league. Long amazon legs, porcelain white skin and dark, long hair with bright green eyes—not going to lie, I had a few wet dreams about the girl a long time ago when he first started going out with her.

"Shut up." He mumbles around another cookie, knowing full well how whipped he is.

"Opening was good; you didn't miss anything crazy though. But tonight's the actual night that we're charging for customers to use it so let's see how it pans out."

"Cool. I'll be there tonight. Did Cici take care of the waitressing problem yet?" I frown because I don't actually know.

"Shit, I forgot to call her about it. I'm hoping she has because it's going to be busy tonight and we need the help since Tasha's gone."

"Well, nothing's more of a test than having whoever it is work their first day on a Saturday night." He grins and I nod back. Saturday's at Knight's is always chaos. I'm always a fucking grump during it but seeing the numbers at the end of the night makes it worth it.

A loud ping goes off and Maxwell holds the cookie that he's munching on in between his lips then uses both hands to fish his cell phone out of the back pocket of his jeans. His face pales when he sees the message and I'm suddenly nervous—waiting patiently for him to explain the broken puppy look on his face.

"What's wrong?" My body stiffens when Maxwell drops the cookie from his mouth back onto the plate.

"We're pregnant." What?

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Piper just text me asking me to stop by the store and pick up some pregnancy tests for her—she's been feeling unwell the past few days but I didn't think it was anything other than a flu."

"So?"

"So? I'm not ready for a baby. I'm only twenty-eight." Maxwell looks like he's going to be sick and I don't know why but I have the sudden urge to laugh.

"Bro, you don't even know if she's pregnant yet. Calm down."

"I know but fuck...what if she is?" I shrug.

"I don't know man but what I do know is that you gotta get a hold of your fucking self and be there for your girl. Who do you think is more scared right now? If she's pregnant then she's the one that's gotta carry a little human being inside her. Be there for her." Where the fuck did that come from? I inwardly smirk at my advice because I'm usually not this wise, even at the age of thirty—in Cierra's words, I was 'too dumb to be giving advice.'