silverpen.org: Grand List of Fantasy Clichés

Grand List of Fantasy Clichés

Note: The original text of this was copyrighted by Kathy Pulver and J. S. Burke in 1998. They have proven difficult to reach since then. Rather than see their awesome creation fade into obscurity, we have chosen to add it here, in its entirety. If you know one of the authors, we would love to hear from them – Karl R.

by Kathy Pulver and J. S. Burke

Inspired by the "The Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Clichés" by Jon VanSickle.

This list, like the SF list that inspired it, is intended only to list various cliches common to the fantasy genre. It is not our intention to say these ideas should never see the light of day again (though some we could do without). Rather, we've compiled this list to amuse and educate.

PLOTS

Little people come from a country resembling England to defeat the evil wizard/king/complete the quest/save the world/etc.

Hero has a wise old teacher who turns out the be his grandfather or mother.Hero falls in love with someone he knows he can't have, but gets her in the end anyway.

The quest is for a jewel/sword/ring/box or other artifact that can destroy/save the world.

Retelling of Arthurian legends or the Robin Hood story.

A rag-tag band of adventurers who don't get along have to team up to save the world and along the way discover that they really do like each other.

Untrained/untried novice goes up against a battle-hardened veteran and wins.

Modern human, usually an American, gets pulled into a fantasy world, usually a pseudo-medieval one, and manages to save the day without dying of disease or ignorance.

Virtual reality used to create a game environment that becomes real, trapping the players in that created world.

The people the hero thinks are his parents really aren't–he's actually the son of a king/wizard/famous warrior.

Villain is hero's father.

Twins separated at birth meet accidentally and fulfill a destiny.

One twin is good the other is evil.

Hero goes to dwarves to get magical gifts.

Hero falls in love with heroine at first sight.

Hero becomes ruler of the land and all is good and peaceful, even though he spent his formative years as a swineherd.

Woman is raped, becomes and adventurer to avenge herself.

Child sees family killed, becomes adventurer to revenge him/herself.

Revenge as a motivator.

CHARACTERS:

Evil guy wants to take over the world just because he is evil.

Heroes who are utterly selfless and only think of the Greater Good.

Evil rulers/wizards in general.

Girls who disguise themselves as boys in order to adventure.

Spunky/feisty/spirited heroines.Handsome/rugged/dashing heroes.

The wise old wizard/hag/witch/herbalist/shaman/healer/etc.

Hero saves the world to win the heart of a woman.

Hero is identified as the one true heir by a birthmark/ring/sword/other artifact.

A loyal servant who knows the true heir's identity lives with him/her as a guardian/protector/teacher/etc.