HOW TO PLOT A STORY

Based on material from Glen C. Strathy and Lynda.com.

How would you like to create a plot outline for your novel in less than an hour that is emotionally compelling and dramatically sound? Apparently it can be done by incorporating eight essential elements in a story.

You can use the following either to strengthen a draft novel you've already written (possibly by rewriting or reworking the story to fit a stronger plot) or you can use it to write a plot for a new novel idea you may have, from scratch.

1. STORY GOAL

As discussed in previous chapters, goals are important in a book. It's easy to understand why. Humans need purpose. We all choose something to live for, a thing that motivates us to keep going and to face the day. Lacking that, many fall into depression or drug addiction, or even commit suicide. The age old question, "Why am I alive?" is important and one every breathing teenager considers at some point. Similarly, this is of value in a book. Readers pick up a book and look for principles to use in their own life, whether they know it or not. Readers like to try to predict what will happen, to judge the characters' choices based on the facts they're given and the goal this character is aiming for.

Your story goal is more than your protagonist's external goal (Peter wants to conquer the evil overlord), it answers the question, "What is my story about?" Let's use our soon to be featured book BLINK as an example. If you ask a pro what the book is about, they will tell you about the theme: This book is about the internal struggle to choose between good and evil. Now this is a great theme, but the story goal would be an answer like this: "It's about a boy with an ability to change time saving the world." See the difference?

Can you tell us what your protagonist's main goal will be?

"Anne wants to be the best gymnast in the world."

Remember to add internal goals.

"Anne wants to be the best gymnast in the world, and inside her heart aches to find love. She has never dated before, and at age 17, she feels it's time."

Now we can say what the story goal will be, ask 'What is this story about?"

It's about Anne, a lonely gymnast who finds true love and wins the Olympics.

Read more about the STORY GOAL here: http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/story-goal.html

2. CONSEQUENCE

Once you have decided on a Story Goal, your next step is to ask yourself, "What disaster will happen if the goal is not achieved? What is my protagonist afraid will happen if he/she doesn't achieve the goal or solve the problem?" In previous chapters, we discussed this as "conflict" and "what's at stake".

What is at stake if your character does not achieve their goal? This is vital. In the real world, people don't do things for no reason at all. Every action has a motivation, and most people are motivated by trying to achieve something, and respectively trying to avoid some negative consequence.

Anne wants to be the best gymnast in the world because her mother is dying, and Peter promised to give her mother the financial support she needs to get a transplant if she wins. There is your motivation. Your consequence. If Anne doesn't win the Olympics, her mother's life is at stake. This is a random example, but bear with me.

Now we have Anne's external conflict, let's do the internal. She is lonely. What is at stake for her if she doesn't find love? I must admit, finding the internal conflict's hinge is trickier most times than the external.