Chapter 3 The Faulty Pen and the Bad Boy (Reese's POV)

Chapter 3 Reese

 She's got to be here somewhere. I search the circular room relieved I don't have to suffer through this alone. There's a sudden buzzing against my hip as my phone frantically vibrates inside my purse. I dig around, frustrated, finally finding it in the last pocket.  Struggling to get a good grip, it tumbles out of my hand, heading straight toward the floor. "Shoot!" I yell, trying to catch it before the hard surface destroys it. A large hand swoops down to soften the landing.

"Here kid," I hear a charming voice connected to the hand say.

"Thanks," I offer, before looking up to give him a smile. Even though I don't like the way he emphasized the word, kid. My eyes fall upon his black chucks then lift to his stylish denim jeans and plain white t-shirt that I notice is fitted perfectly over a pair of broad shoulders and a nicely defined chest. Attached to that chest are two tatted up, muscular arms. I realize I am admiring what I am looking at and may soon forgive him for his earlier comment. As I get to his five o'clock-shadowed jaw line and full lips, it dawns on me that I am studying him in slow motion. Please God I hope I haven't been here too long. As soon as I get to his eyes my breath catches in my throat, and I'm no longer breathing.

I didn't get a good look at the guy applying for my job last night. I only saw him from a distance. I could tell he was attractive, tall, and built. There is something about his eyes, his messy brown hair, and the way he is looking at me that makes me certain that this is the same guy, and if I am right, then he knows exactly who I am. My heart is pounding fast. I don't know if it's because I am nervous or pissed off.

"How's your eye?" he says in a soft, sincere voice.

Blinking out of my shock, I reach up to touch my face. "Oh ... umm ... it's fine. I'm fine," I stutter.

"You sure? She got you pretty good. Did you ice it?"Why is he looking at me like that?

I nod as his eyes look down at my phone that happens to be vibrating in my hand. Following his gaze, I read the text.

CLOSE YOUR MOUTH! YOU'RE DROOLING! LOL! WHO IS THAT? I'M DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM YOU.

I snap my head up to find Gia smirking at me, like I had some secret she couldn't wait to hear. Shoving my phone in my purse, I quickly walk across the room and take the spot next to her.

Gia's light brown, curly hair spills just past her shoulders, her big blue eyes usually melt a man's heart within seconds, not to mention her petite little frame. She's sweet, yet confident, and like my mom, is always pushing me to date. I know what she is up to. I can read her thoughts before she even speaks, which seems to be a common thing in our relationship.

"Who the heck is that?" she mumbles, raising her eyebrows, looking down at her desk. I can tell she's trying to keep him from reading her lips.

Trying not to be obvious, I slowly glance his way. Unfortunately, it doesn't work since he is staring directly at me. He isn't smiling or frowning. He looks so ... worried ... if that makes any sense. Why in the world is he still looking at me like that?

Not wanting him to read my lips, I glance at Gia from the side with my head facing down and quietly explain the gym incident. "He is the reason for this!" I hiss, pointing directly at my black eye.

She chuckles. "Come on, it's not his fault he's good looking."

I roll my eyes. "That is not why I got distracted. It's the way he was watching me. I think he might be taking my job, and he feels bad about it or something."

 Gia shakes her head. "You're not going to lose your job. They love you. I'm sure there's another reason he's got his eyes on you." She gives me a little kick in the shin. "Maybe he thinks you're hot?"