24: "friends", fools, the hit.

Shorty makes me go shopping as soon as I get back to Los Angeles. There are closets full of designers clothing at my house—stuff that was given to me mostly, but he thinks I need something new. Something to put a little "pep in my step." Apparently my wardrobe, which has been mostly reduced to cut off shorts and tank tops, isn't up to code with Hollywood style at the moment.

I pour myself into a short, skin tight dress that makes me look like I'm wrapped in shiny ace bandages and do my hair and makeup. I can't remember the last time I straightened my hair, or bothered with more than mascara and lipgloss. Makeup isn't all that practical on the beach. Tonight, I doll myself up, knowing there will be cameras everywhere. It's like putting on a mask, and I, surprisingly, remember what it feels like to be Baby Darling.

Shorty asks that I meet him and a few friends at a local hot spot for dinner and so I begin my quiet re-entry into the LA scene at around 8 that night.

I feel like crawling into a hole and dying. I feel like disappearing into my bed for weeks. I feel like calling Tom just to hear his voice.

Instead of doing what I feel, I put on a brave face. I do what Shorty says. I make my way to the restaurant, I kiss the cheeks of "friends" I haven't talked to in months, and I smile pretty the whole time.

"Oh god, Baby. Where have you been?! You missed the party last weekend. Rita's boyfriend was caught making out with some skank in the bathroom, and Justin's ex showed up drunk and wearing the ugliest dress." Yvonne, make up artist and stylist to the stars, rolls her eyes at me as she scrolls through her iphone. Her sister Sharon, also a stylist and a wannabe actress, sits next to her, texting feverishly.

"Wow. Crazy." I say softly.

"Baby, I promise I'll get all my stuff out of your dining room tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for letting me use it while you were on vacation." Shorty winks at me, and goes back to a phone call. I nod at him.

When I had returned home a few days ago, I'd found my dining room had been turned into a makeshift office for Shorty. His apartment is being remodeled, and I'd agreed to let him stay there while I was away. I was just a bit surprised at how comfortable he's made himself. I arrived home to stacks and piles of paperwork all over my table. Contracts, offers, negotiations, all over the place. Two laptops set up. He's been sleeping in one of my spare rooms, and his stuff is everywhere. It's alright. I don't need all the space, really. I've got empty rooms, and bedrooms I don't even step foot in. Having Shorty around isn't all that much of a hardship.

"I can't believe you're going to Vegas soon!" Sharon exclaims, flipping her hair over her shoulder. Her eyes flash bright as she waits for me to respond. To make any sort of exclamation that matches her own. I'm supposed to sign the contracts for Vegas in the morning, and the thought hangs over me like a cloud.

"Yeah, it's a huge deal." I push my salad around on my plate, and shift uncomfortably. The dress is digging into me, and I feel like it's squeezing me slowly to death like some sort of snake.

"Are you dating anyone, Baby? I feel like it's been forever since we talked. I could set you up with my ex, Sean. He's super hot. A bit of a dick at times, but you'd get along, I think. And I know he thinks you're gorgeous. He was just saying the other night how sexy your video is." Yvonne laughs, and took a sip of her cocktail. Sharon makes an excited noise, and giggles with her manicured hands over her mouth. I blink slowly, and then shake my head.

"I'm not really on the market right now." I feel my dress, squeezing tighter.

"Well, just let me know. You're kind of a hot commodity right now. Everyone's been wondering where you've been." Yvonne wiggles her eyebrows at me and I nod.