19: photographers, girlfriends, debt

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has read, commented and "liked" Darling. It has meant a lot. I know I haven't been as active on here lately, but all your comments and feedback mean a lot to me. As many of you (the ones I chat with on FB) know, I've been having some pretty terrible writer's block, but I'm working through it. Thanks again for all your support. I've really needed it these last few weeks.

Tom pulled a rack of pint glasses from the back, and brought them to the front of the bar, humming softly as he did. Two weeks. Two glorious weeks since Billie had spent the night in his bed, in his arms. And she'd spent nearly every night there since. He smiled to himself, shaking the image of her-lithe, naked and stretched across his sheets. It wasn't just that either that had him smiling, though that was an image he wasn't likely to forget anytime soon. He could smell her skin. Feel her hands on him, and the way she moved under his. Hear her laugh, soft and breathless in his ear. He loved falling asleep next to her. He loved rolling over in the night, and wrapping himself around her. She always responded to him, molding her body against him, sighing as if she'd been searching in the dark for him and only just then found him. Found relief. He felt the same.

They'd been hesitant at first. He wasn't sure he wanted Gemma to wake up in the morning, and find Billie already there, having obviously spent the night. It was a delicate situation. But Billie somehow made it easy. She was understanding and laid back about it. The first few nights, she insisted that she could leave, at 4 or 5 in the morning to avoid his tiny roommate. He hadn't liked that. Didn't like Billie sneaking out like it was some sort of crime. Or like they were doing something wrong. Still, he knew it was a conversation he'd have to have with Gemma, sooner rather than later.

He ended up sitting Gemma down one evening, over pink dotted cat cookies and vanilla bean ice cream, and talking about it with her. It had gone better than he'd expected, though it hadn't been exactly smooth.

"Gems." He set down two cookies on a plate in front of Gemma, who immediately grabbed one with a pudgy hand and snapped the head off. She giggled and chowed down, cramming far too much in her mouth.

"Gemma. Slow down." Tom blinked, trying not to laugh. She nodded, opened her mouth a bit wider and chewed harder.

"Better." He nodded, watching her over his shoulder as he poured her a glass of milk. He knew she'd ask for it, so he might as well be ready. It was nearing bedtime, and she sat in her super hero pajamas he'd bought from the little boy's section, her hair wet from her earlier bath.

"These are better than last time." She quipped, mouth still full.

"Chew, darling. I'm pretty sure they're the same." He set the half full glass down in front of her, and she smiled at him, and grabbed it with two hands.

"The icing tastes better." She shrugged. Tom nodded and shrugged back. If anyone knew, she would. He'd been buying her those cookies regularly for what seemed like at least a year.

"Gemma, you know Billie?" He asked, knowing it was a dumb question. He just wasn't sure how else to broach the subject. Gemma looked up at him, her brow furrowed, recognizing even at her young age, that he had just asked a dumb question.

"Billie is my friend, daddy." She scowled at him and then bit the tail off the cat. He nodded, leaning forward on the table, swiping a hand over his face. Gemma took a loud glug of milk and then made a satisfied "Ahh!" He grinned and watched her, absorbing every little last detail of her cookie eating routine. She did it nearly the same way every time.

"You're right. She is your friend." He nodded, smiling. She blinked at him and then turned her attention back to her cookies.

"She's also my friend." He started, but immediately regretted it. He groaned inwardly. No one taught you how to explain to a five year old that you were going to have a "friend" sleep over. He wasn't even sure if it was the right decision. He paused and sat back in the chair, watching Gemma quietly.