20: hide and seek, the truth, a dance

I glance over at Rachel, who is helping Gemma into a booth at the ice cream parlor. It is an impromptu girl's day out, as Tom is on Rosie duty for the day. Rosie had a doctor's appointment in the city, so I offered to watch Gemma so he wouldn't have a hyper five year old on his hands while at the cramped doctor's office. He'd bulked at first, saying he didn't want to put that on me. I had simply scrunched my nose at him and kissed him, hard and good, and made him change his mind. It's no big deal to watch Gemma.

Gemma has requested a scoop of cookie dough ice cream with chocolate sprinkles. Rachel is sticking to frozen yogurt, and I'm splurging on chocolate soft serve. I'm not sure how much I've gained since I've been back, but suffice it to say, Tom has had a good grip on my hips lately. Not that either of us have minded.

Rachel grins at Gemma, and walks the four or five feet to where I'm standing in line, both of us watching the little girl as she is oblivious to us. She sits in the booth, dwarfed by the high sides of the seats, slowly pushing a stuffed dog toy along the table top.

"She is adorable." Rachel says under her breath. I smile and feel something swell in my chest. I'm not sure what it is. Gemma isn't mine. Even entertaining that idea in my head makes me feel strange. But there is something there. And when I think of Gemma, I think of Tom.

"She is." I nod and turn back as the girl behind the counter hands Rachel Gemma's ice cream.

"Thanks, Tania." Rachel smiles at the counter girl. She knows everyone in this town. It's hard not to. Rachel goes back to the table, setting the cup in front of Gemma. Her eyes go big, and she immediately digs in. Rachel and I get our cups, and return back to the booth.

"You've been busy lately." Rachel says out of the side of her mouth, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow. I stiffen, and then take a deep breath.

"For some time there, I couldn't get you out of my hair. You were like my little sister shadow all over again. I'm not complaining, it was nice. But you've been...busy lately." She continues, slowly eating a spoonful of ice cream. I haven't been around lately, it's true. It's been quite a few days since I've spent the night at Rachel's...all my time has been spent at Tom's.

"I guess so." I try to hide my smile, but it tugs at the corners of my mouth. "Just giving you and Sam some space, that's all." I say with sudden interest in my ice cream. Rachel laughs, the noise bright and amused.

"Sure, I'm sure that's what you're doing." Rachel rolls her eyes, still smiling as she reaches over and dabs at Gemma's ice cream covered mouth. Gemma scowls but lets her without much fuss.

"How's the ice cream, Gems?" I ask, reaching over and moving her stuffed dog out of the way of any melted dessert. Gemma nods, looking down and digging into her cup with her smaller, pink spoon.

"Not as good as cat cookies. I can't eat the heads off. This is good though. Thank you." Gemma wiggles in her seat and grins at me. She is full of boundless energy, which keeps her moving constantly.

"You're welcome." I smile at her, feeling that squeeze again in my chest. The routine has been easy lately. I spend all my time with Tom, Gemma and Rosie. When Tom has to work at the Bar, then I hang out with Gemma and Rosie. Sometimes I'll go to Rachel and Sam's and have dinner with them. I rotate between the three houses during the day, Gemma acting as my tiny shadow as I do. She's easy to take care of, aside from the occasional tantrum or tears if she's too tired and in need of a summer nap. I always end my days at Tom's house, though. Whether he's working or at home, I find myself in his bed. He's got a perfect view of the beach from his bedroom window, and so when I'm waiting for him to get home, I lie in his bed, surrounded by his blankets and pillows that smell so much of him. I read, sometimes I play music or bring out my guitar. I watch the moon rise over the ocean. I wait for him. And when he comes home, and joins me in bed, everything falls into place.