chapter five

Tuesday:

                We carpooled to school and Ashton sang along to the radio the whole time, he even begged me to join him and after awhile I did. It was the funnest car ride I have ever experienced.

                The day went on like any other except my usual bullies kept away, just sending me evil glares in the halls.

                After school, Ashton had to finish a test and told me to just wait outside, he’d be done soon.

                I was sitting against the outside wall of the school when I heard voices.

                “Oh look. If it isn’t the ugly freak.” One of Sabrina’s boy toys exclaims, coming to a stop in front me. I quickly get to my feet so I’m not as easy of a target.

                “What are you doing still here?” Sabrina says, disgusted. I look at the ground causing her to laugh. “What, can’t you speak?”

                When I still say nothing, her boy toy roughly grabs my arm. “Are you ignoring us? I’ll show you what happens when people ignore us.” Then he punches me. I scream in pain and grab my face. But he doesn’t stop. He pushes me to the ground and kicks my stomach. All my breath rushes out of my lungs and black dots start to creep into my vision from lack of oxygen. He pulls his foot back to kick me again but is stopped by something.

                “Stop!” A voice says as a body crashes into Sabrina’s boy toy. They fall to the ground and Sabrina screams.  “Don’t you ever touch her again!” the voice continues while throwing punches the whole time.

                When the mystery guy finally lets her boy toy go, Sabrina grabs his hand and they run to her car. The guy then rushes to my side. Then I recognize him.

                “Dustin, are you okay?” Ashton asks looking me over. “What am I saying; of course you’re not okay. Hey, don’t move.” He says when I try to sit up. He sits next to me and rests my head on lap while examining the damage to my face. His touch is so soft and gentle, I close my eyes.

                After what feels like seconds but must have been hours, I slowly open my eyes to find myself in my room. I try to move but feel something wrapped around my waist. I look down and see an arm. I turn my head and there’s Ashton sleeping peacefully. He looks adorable when he’s sleeping. I turn myself all the way around so I’m facing him. I don’t know where my courage comes from but I run my fingers down his face. Then I pull myself closer to him and before I can talk myself out of it, I kiss him. I’m about to pull back when he starts kissing me back. Caught up in the moment, I pull my fingers through his hair. He moans and goes to pull me closer but he hits the bruise that formed after Sabrina’s boy toy kicked me. I pull away in pain.

                “Oh gosh. I’m so sorry. I forgot and…sorry.” Ashton says sheepishly.

                “It’s fine.” I say putting on a brave face. Truth is it hurts really badly.

                “Here let me see.” He goes to pull up my shirt and I try to resist but he grabs both of my hands in one of his and holds them away.

                The bruise is huge and blue. When Ashton sees it, his face becomes hard and his fists clench.

                “I’m gonna kill him.” He mutters.