chapter two

“Hey, can I sit here?” I look up at the guy standing next to me, surprised. He smiles down at me and motions to the chair next to me.

                “Um, sure, I guess,” I say. His grin widens.

                “Thanks, I’m new and you looked the nicest out of all the other kids,” he says, and I find myself smiling at him. “I’m Ashton, by the way.”

                “I’m Dustin.” I say back, kind of stupidly as I get kind of sucked into his brown eyes.

                “Hey baby, you don’t want to sit there. Sit with me instead of that ugly piece of shit.” We look up and see none other than Sabrina, the sluttiest girl in school, batting her eyelashes and flipping her hair while scowling at me.

                “Are you talking to me?” Ashton questions her looking slightly annoyed.

              “Of course, gorgeous, who else would I be talking too?  You don’t want to sit with the emo nerd freak now do you?” Sabrina says while laying her perfectly manicured nails on his shoulder.

                “Actually, I am perfectly fine sitting here with Dustin, who, by the way, is way prettier than you so get your bitchy fake ass out of here and leave us alone.” Ashton says to her, furrowing his eyebrows and frowning. Sabrina scowls and flips her hair over her shoulder before turning on her heel and walking away, shaking her butt more than necessary.

                “You know you didn’t have to do that, right? She’ll just ruin both of our lives now,” I tell him worried. He turns to me, a shy smile on his face.

                “I don’t care what people think of me and I already have one amazing friend to hang out with.”

                “Oh, who?” I ask my hopes of a friend vanishing.

                “Dustin, you are my amazing friend,” he says his smile widening. My face lights up.

                “Really?” My hopes are up way to high to get crushed now.

               “Really, you are way cooler to hang out with than the other kids,” Ashton says and I can’t help myself; I hug the guy. He’s surprised at first, but then hugs me back laughing.

                He shows me his schedule and turns out we have all the same classes. At the end of class, I introduce him to Abbey and I can tell she likes him but is a little wary as to if we can trust him or not.