Chapter 12: Advice, please

I woke up very uncomfortable, light shining in my eyes and dirt covering me. Okay, maybe sleeping in the woods wasn't a good idea. Well, a lot of thing I do aren't good ideas. Hey, no judging!

I stand up and stretch happily. That's probably the best night I've had in a while, though playing with some random wolves probably wasn't smart of me. Bad ideas, Kelsey. With the thought in my mind, I run back to where I took off my clothes. Putting them on and slipping into my car, I drive home.

The green digits of my car's clock 1:28 PM. Well, no point into going to school today then. I check my phone to see a bunch of missed calls and texts. I call Libby and head back onto the road.

"Where the hell are you, Kelsey Raven Taylors? You better get your ass here soon!" I sigh dramatically as she yells at me through the phone.

"Chill, Libby. I'm on my way now, I'll explain later."

"You better!" Clicking the end button, I roll my eyes. She can't really be pissed, can she? Then again, I did randomly leave her with Mel and not show up even though I said I would.

What about Mel? She was pretty upset when we left. What can we do to make her feel better, my wolf asks me softly. I sigh again.

"I don't know," I speak aloud. "Maybe a visit to Helen will help." And that's exactly what I do.

Helen is my grandmother, on my father's side, that is. Though my family didn't keep contact with me, I could always still talk to Helen. She didn't know about them leaving at first and I didn't mention it, but she found out a year or two ago. She was completely unhappy with my situation but I convinced her to not contact them. I was fine enough without them, right? I still am. So after she found out, she moved to a small house just by my city. It's been a while since I've visited her.

The gravel crunches under my car as I travel up to the small worn-down house. Everything is the same, healthy green grass, beautiful garden, blue paint chipping on the porch from weather. I come to a halt just outside the house. Take a few steps up, I knock on her door.

"Just a minute," I hear my grandma's raspy voice behind the door. She opens the door soon enough.

"Hey, Grandma!" A grin stretches across my face as the little old woman wraps her arms around me in a tight grip.

"Kelsey, darling. I've missed you so much!" She yanks me inside and plops me on her pale loveseat. "Tea, my dear?"

"Yes, please." Even she smiles as she hobbles off to get us tea.

"Now Kelsey, you better be staying out of trouble, dear." Handing me a cup, she slowly sits in her wooden rocking chair across from me.

"Of course, grandma. How have you been?" I look deeply into her warm brown eyes. My grandpa, her mate, passed away about five years ago, she's been so lonely living alone.

"I'm okay, dear. How have you been?" Her brows slant downward and wrinkles deepen with worry.

"It's tough, grandma. Garret came back." I watch as her eyes widen with surprise, but she stays quiet for me to continue. "He brought a friend with him. And of course that friend is my mate. Anyways, I also found this girl, Mel, who's been abused by her family. She's living with me in my apartment. Mel's really mad at me, and I don't really know how to make her feel better. And with my mate, I don't want a mate. But he won't leave me alone. What do I do, grandma?" I look down at my lap and play with the hem of my shirt as I speak. Grandma takes one of my hands in her frail old one.

"Oh Kelsey, it's okay. Now about this mate, who is he and what's he like?"

"His name's Reed and he's the alpha of the pack of the city. He wants me to accept him, but like I said, I don't want a mate."