Carmen: 25.

Carmen decided to leave Ezra and Emma to it, walking Harrison up the road by herself. She didn't explain that she left, but she felt like she should. Plus, she wanted a minute to herself. She needed to think.

                Just when Ezra was starting to open up, just when he wasn't being so mean or distant, another obstacle was put in the way. She came here to try and reconnect to Ezra, she thought all her hard work was paying off and he was softening – because of her. But now she wasn't so sure. Maybe this Emma girl was the one that was softening him. Maybe Harrison was, too. But maybe she wasn't – at all. Maybe everything she was doing was in vain.

                But then, why was she here anyway? She was married. She was happy. Ezra knew he had a son, finally. He understood Kevin was the father figure in Harrisons' life. He got it.

                So maybe Carmen should get a clue, too. Maybe she should leave. Maybe they could – possibly – be friends, but who knows? So much had happened.

                What were you expecting? Carmen asked herself. Ezra just to fall back in love with you? Like that would ever happen! Like it could!

                "Mommy?" Harrison said, almost inaudibly. "Why are you crying?"

                Carmen wiped her eyes with her free hand. She put on a brave face. "I'm not sure," she replied. "Everything's a bit jumbled up, baby."

                "I get that." Harrison said, swinging his mother's arm.

                She creased her forehead. "What?"

                "With math, and shapes!" Harrison giggled. "They all jumble up in my mind."

                Carmen laughed through her nose and held her sons hand tighter. They reached Ezra's house and immediately Harrison went to play outside.

                When Carmen went to open the door, Kevin was already on the other side, opening it for her. When she saw him, she smiled.

                "Are you OK?" Kevin asked. "You shouldn't be on your feet so much, you know."

                "Why?" Carmen replied, purposely not taking a seat in the kitchen, at the large, obscure, wooden table. "I'm not tired."

                "Yes, but I think you should take a seat."

                "Why?" Carmen echoed.

                "Because y—" Kevin didn't even get to finish his sentence. Carmen's phone blared out her ringtone.

                Sighing, Carmen walked over to it. "Hello?" she spoke. Kevin didn't know who was on the other end but there were lots of "whats?" and "where?" before Carmen finally said, "hold on. I'll come and get you." She snapped the phone down, and when she held it in her hand, she was clenching it so hard that her hands were white.

                "Who was it?" Kevin asked curiously, frowning at her hand. "You know, I really don't want you to be stressed."

                "It was Gretchen." She replied, ignoring the second part of her statement. "I haven't spoken to her for a few days, and apparently, some things are happening. God knows what that means! Probably the tabloids. It could be a bunch of rumours in the newspaper for all I know! Only a couple of people recognise me down here, but a few could have opened their mouths for some money."