Chapter 18 - I'll Take A Bruise

I’ve been hiding backstage in some random empty room for ages now. Harry was called to go and watch the results, then congratulate the winner, the amazing Matt, on stage for his winner’s song. As a result, I was shoved into the closest room we could find.

I have a television, though, in my cell room. It’s a fairly old one: a little black box with a dusty screen and a few buttons missing. There are fuzzy lines running through the picture every now and then, but at least I can see what’s happening.

The volume has to be turned down so low I’m kneeling beside the table where the television is sat just so I can actually hear what’s going on.

You see, I’m not supposed to be backstage. Friends and family are only allowed here after the actual show has finished. I snuck in, even if it were quite easily, so I’m not exactly welcome yet. If I’m found before the all clear, I’ll probably get chucked out on the streets.

Anyway, I’m watching Matt singing When We Collide. I’m so glad he won; he has such an amazing voice.

My patience is failing me again, though. I’m only waiting for the part when everyone runs onto the stage to sing with him. And it feels like I’m waiting forever. I love that part of the show, every year, and it’s even more special this time.

“C’mon…hurry up!” I murmur to myself, thinking that it will help somehow.

I nearly jump for joy when I see Matt stop singing and get attacked by Niall, closely followed by his beloved Aiden, and then the rest of the One Direction boys. When I locate Liam amongst the crowd, I smile hugely. I begin to plan out what I’m going to tell him afterwards, now that Harry doesn’t mind us being together.

I catch a glimpse of Harry on the stage, and see him crying. I’m sure he’s the only one crying.

All thoughts of Liam vanish from my mind and all I can see is Harry. I sit bolt upright and stare at the screen. Why is he crying?

He wasn’t in such a great state when he left me.

“Okay…it’s all set.” He had said after finding the correct channel on the television for me.

“Thanks Hazza.” I gave him one last hug and he had smiled at me when we pulled apart. The room was dark then, but looking back, I’m sure his expression was sad. He left the room sniffing, like he’d been crying – or was about to start crying…

No. What am I thinking? He was fine when he left! Perhaps a little upset about coming third, or maybe he was just excited to find out who wins…Oh, I don’t know.

I look at the screen again and see Harry clutching Matt’s shoulders, singing the words ‘I’ll take a bruise, I know you’re worth it,’ with him. It confirms my conclusion, he’s happy for Matt winning.

I am too, and I have to stop myself from cheering when the song finishes. 

I spot Liam again, and I continue planning out our conversation in my head.

-

I’m on the prowl. I had cleverly waited a few minutes in my cell before jumping out and hunting up and down every hallway nearby.

But nearly ten minutes later, I still couldn’t find him. I saw some other contestants on my travels, but they’re not who I’m looking for.

Thankfully, he found me.

“Chaz!” I hear him shouting behind me.

“Harry! Just the boy I was looking for.” I reply happily, skipping up to him smiling. Up close I can tell he’s been crying more.