«1»

Angels P.O.V.

I just finish talking to my neighbour down the street, who told me she heard about someone moving in above my flat.

She's an older woman who happens to love gossip, I personally think she's hilarious, and she doesn't get down on me like most about my not speaking.

I can speak, as far as I remember, but I don't like to.

I was told I have selective mutism, but I see it, as if people don't sign, why should I speak? I have to work 10 times harder just to understand what's going on in a conversation.

And quite frankly, it's frustrating, especially when people turn their heads in the middle of a conversation.

What happened to the old fashioned eye contact?

»»

I have a part time job in a deaf school, just as a helper, but I love it there. It's a primary school, so I get to see all these kids coping on their own, which is pretty great.

I love giving them pep talks and motivating them to try as much as they can.

I'm really shy, which is probably why I don't have a best friend.
But, I'm not bothered, I see people, I'm content with my life.

I put my key in the door, finally getting home after a long day. I started out at work from 8am to 2:30pm, then I went to Mrs.Grindowals straight after to see how she was doing, and brought her some dinner.
She's 72, and only has her grandson who sees her once every few years. She has a dog, named Ruby that's beginning to get ill in her old age.

Before I completely open it, I feel someone pull me back quite roughly.
I wince in pain and frown, turning my head to see a boy with fluorescent green hair.

His lips move so fast, I can't understand him, I put my hand out, motioning to slow down.
He seems confused by my lack of speaking, but continues slower anyway. "Sorry, my friend Calum pushed me, I almost fell over and you were the first thing I could get hold of- I- We- were coming up to say hi- we're the guys that are going to be living above you"

I widen my eyes, trying to think if I saw what he said correctly.

Boys.

My age.

Above.

Having parties with irritating girls and random people passing through.

He seems to be waiting for my reply, until I point to my ears and sigh lightly.

"You're.. deaf?" he turns his head to the side "oh". I bite my lip gently.

"Well, I'll see you around.." he pauses, I grab his hand and pull a felt tip, a little boy named Jake put into my pocket earlier, from my pocket, pull the top off and write 'Angel' on his hand gently.

"An.. Angi.. Angel! Right, got it." he smiles, moving his hand away.

"Nice to meet you, Angel." he almost walks away before I pull him back by his forearm, gesturing to him.

He looks confused until realisation kicks in "Right, my name.. Michael" he smiles, finally beginning to walk past on his own, waving.

I wonder where his friend went..