Chapter 9: The Games begin

KANDAHAR

AFGHANISTAN

Sangar Abdullah placed his hand over his cup as the elderly woman attempted to refill his teacup, "Bus (Enough)."

He examined the other occupants of the large room as several boys hurried to light the kerosene lamps. The assembled men were subdivided into two sections.

On one end of the room, five tribal elders sat in a semi-circle consulting each other in muted voices in the traditional Afghani jirga.

The other twenty men sat in rows of fives, facing the tribal elders, and discussed crops, livestock and, in one case, were arranging a marriage. Several furtively glanced at Sangar and his three companions before returning to their conversations.

The senior white-bearded elder, Haji Sultan, stood and held his hand up.

All conversation immediately ceased.

"It is decided. Abdul, your goats destroyed one of Din Mohammed's wheat fields. Since wheat prices are now almost equal to the prices of our poppy harvests, you must recompense Din Mohamed for his loss."

He paused. "Din Mohamed, your brother made a mistake, but you are greedy. You ask for too high a payment. Instead, we have decided that he will provide you with two goats to assist your family next spring when the snows have gone. That is our final word."

All the men, but eight, including Sangar, stood and left the room without further conversation or protest.

**

Haji Sultan gestured for the remaining men to approach.

Sangar and three other leaders sat in the front row with their senior cohort members behind them.

All the men remaining were clothed in traditional, earthy-colored garb of the Pashtun tribe. The only difference was the old fashioned bandoleers, Soviet style ammunition belts and newer NATO webbing that festooned their torsos.

Each cradled an assault rifle of his choice across his lap as they sat cross legged with their feet turned inward to ensure that their appendages were not pointed at another.

The elders carried no visible arms or ammunition, but Sangar knew from experience that these men were armed.

"There is word that the foreigners are fighting amongst themselves. Yet I am told that many more men and machines are coming to their airbase. I have also heard that their supply caravans are being attacked and our brothers to the south are getting richer from the spoils." Haji pointed to Sangar. "There is also word that you have spoken to the foreigners. The others believe we should keep hurting the invaders until they leave. You have suggested a path of negotiation. We wish to hear all the facts."

**

Sangar waited as the elder signaled to the accusers to offer their version of the facts in the millennium old tradition of the Pashtun jirga.

"Sangar, you cannot negotiate with invaders of our land. They have killed our people for eleven years. They show no respect for our hospitality; they do not respect our customs," Abdul Ras stood and laid out his objections as he fiddled with his assault rifle's sling. "I have lost two brothers to their bombs. My brothers were extending hospitality to fellow Pashtuns as is our custom. Who are these men who kill us for our customs and traditions? We have lived this way before we defeated Alexander, before the Mongol hordes crossed the land, before the British ..."