Chapter 3: Know your enemy

THE OLD BAILEY

MAIN COURTROOM

1300 HOURS

Sir William stood as he addressed the High Court Judge. "My Lord, a new critical witness has been brought to the attention of the defense. I must beg your indulgence and request an adjournment of five days so that we can examine this witness."

Lord Bryce gestured for the prosecutor to retain his seat. "Sir William, this is a highly unusual request. The prosecution is about to present its first witness and I will be inconveniencing a great many people if I grant your request."

"I am aware of that, your Lordship, and I would normally not make such a request, but for the unusual circumstances. As you are aware, I have only been assigned to this case ten days ago and our defense would be severely disadvantaged if we could not interview this witness who is presently in the war zone in Helmand Province. The Ministry of Defence has advised me that it will take five days for them to transfer the witness to London, my Lord."

"Let this be the last time, Sir William. The Clerk of the Court will assign our next date."

PRISONER'S CELLS

BASEMENT OF THE OLD BAILEY

The two men faced each other from opposite sides of the stark white cell.

Sir William removed his white, horsehair wig and dropped it onto the bench beside him. "I will give you five minutes to answer my questions, Mr. al-Abbadi." He extracted his pocket watch from his vest pocket.

From under hooded lids, Hamed al-Abbadi observed his actions and smiled.

"If and when you answer my questions, I will leave this cell and consider the information you provide me later this evening." Sir William turned the ornate pocket watch slowly. "If I consider them to be truthful, I will continue to defend you." He swung the watch on its chain and observed its pendulum motion before continuing. "And if you are not truthful, I will recommend to the Home Secretary that you should be detained under the 2005 Prevention of Terrorism Act. Are you prepared to provide me with truthful answers?" He undid his waistcoat and removed the traditional white band from his collar stud.

An enigmatic smile suffused Hamed al-Abbadi's bearded face. He stood up and advanced to the single barred window. "Ask what you will, Sir William. I will answer if my duty does not prohibit me from answering."

The watch swung in a hypnotic motion as both men warily observed each other.

"Is your real name Hamed al-Abbadi?"

"No. It is a nom de guerre as you have already surmised. I cannot give you my real name because I have a family to protect, Sir William."

"I see." The arc of the swinging watch increased. "Did you kill that young lady?"

Hamed shook his head vigorously. "No, I did not kill her. As I told you when we first met, I entered her flat, but I don't remember anything until the police woke me up. I know they found me covered in blood and with the saif in my hand, but I did not kill her. I was there to help her." He paused to loosen his tie. "I was only there because she requested me to come to her flat. She said it was an emergency and was afraid of someone following her. She didn't want to discuss it over the phone so I immediately cancelled my squash lesson with a client and ran for the Tube, Sir William." He held up the tie as he turned to face his barrister. "It's funny how Her Majesty's Prison System has determined that I'm not a suicide risk and permit me to have a tie." He folded it and placed it on the bench. "I called her for directions when I left the Tube at Edgeware Road."