Love 'N' Stuff [Original Slash] {11}

There was a beat of silence in the room as Laura moved on to her next topic, the four of us deaf to whatever strife Justin Bieber had got himself in as we stared at each other. Benny swallowed loudly and that seemed to break the spell that had been cast over the room; the other three glanced at each other warily.

                ‘I didn’t do it,’ I managed to choke out hoarsely, still in shock. I knew Aaron was bastard and a cad but I had never thought…

                ‘We know,’ Benny said hurriedly, walking over to me quickly and putting an arm around my waist, guiding me to the sofa and making me sit down. ‘Get him a glass of water,’ he hissed at the other two, and Freddie tripped over himself to do it.

                ‘He lied,’ I tried to tell them, staring straight ahead into the middle distance.

                ‘Yes,’ Benny told me.

                ‘He beat me up.’

                ‘Yes.’

                ‘He… Why would he do that?!’ I demanded, finally snapping out of my daze and turning to Benny wildly. ‘Why would he tell people that?!’

                ‘I guess…’ Benny started hesitantly, and I knew he had it all worked out in his quick little mind already, and just didn’t want to tell me.

                ‘What?’

                Benny cleared his throat and started again. ‘I guess he wanted to pre-empt you. He probably thought you’d do a kiss and tell piece or something and rat him out, so he got in there first. I’ve said it a thousand times, if people knew what he’d done he wouldn’t even be allowed on the show.’

                ‘I wouldn’t have done that.’

                ‘I know. You’re not that petty.’

                There was another pause and Freddie handed me the glass of water. I took it but didn’t drink from it, just holding it still in front of me and gazing into it deeply as if it might hold all the answers I needed to get out of this horrid situation.

                ‘Um,’ Freddie cleared his throat. ‘What are you gonna do?’

                I shrugged. ‘I didn’t think there was anything to do. What should I do?’

                ‘Well maybe you should think about telling your side of the story. I mean no offence but you aren’t gonna get very far in your law career if people think you beat the crap out of somebody.’

                ‘Yeah, you should probably go to the police,’ Matt piped up, and blushed. ‘I mean, if you get there first and insist you’re innocent they’ll have to investigate from the point of view of you being the victim.’ He paused. ‘Right?’

                ‘And there’ll be hospital records,’ Benny said suddenly. ‘Saying you had all those injuries.

                I nodded slowly; all of this made sense. ‘Yes,’ I said, then, ‘yes,’ a little more assuredly. ‘That’s what I have to do.’

Matt

It was kind of a weird situation.

                I mean, aside from the fact that one of us had just been on MTV News accused of grievous bodily harm.

                It was like the fact that one of us was in trouble had glossed over all the little arguments and awkwardness that had sprung up over the last few hours and despite our differences we were gelling together to try and fix the problem. I guess it was kind of heartening, in a sense.