Chapter 01|| Deadly Scares and Supernatural Abilities.

Chapter One: Deadly Scares and Supernatural Abilities.

"I'd rather have flowers in my hair than diamonds around my neck."

******************************************

The only things I used to believe in were truth, freedom, and love. Well that, and about one thousand inspirational Buddha quotes.

Then, I found out something exceptional about my friends. My best friend's brother turned out to be something that words can't really explain. I also found out that almost all of my friends have supernatural abilities.

And it was all hidden from me.

To "protect" me.

My life was pretty focused and planned out. Ever since my parents tragically died in a car accident on June 23, 2004, one day before my 5th birthday, and my older brother, Jonah, decided that he'd come back home to take care of me instead of placing me in foster care, everything felt different. I had a routine; school, chores, homework, playing with dog, hanging out with Wren, eating (lots of eating), and sleeping.

Then, I met Liam. Liam freaking Dunbar. And he changed everything. Since the day I met him, he's made my world go haywire. He disrupted my routine, he brought mayhem and chaos, when I believed in peace and tranquility.

We were hot and cold, yin and yang, black and white.

Polar opposites.

But that's why my first love was so wonderful.

He completed me.

My new life began the night before I started my second semester as a Freshman. I was picking out vegetarian take-out for me and my brother, Jonah, while talking on the phone with my best friend, Wren McCall.

"Yes, Wren," I assured my persistent friend, "I promise we'll Skype as soon as I get home."

"Good, 'cause I have hella juicy gossip and I don't want to tell you unless I get to see your face." Wren said through my iPhone speaker.

"Is it about someone in school?" I queried as I adjusted my backpack strap on my shoulder.

"Not until I get to see your face."

"What's your deal with my face?"

"It's pretty," Wren stated in her usual 'duh' tone, "And besides, I want to see your reaction when you know what it is."

"Okay, you weirdo." I laughed, "Won't you rather come over? I bought take-out."

"I already ate."

I snorted, "Like that has stopped you before."

"It's late, Mom won't let me."

"Now, that I believe," I told her, "I'm a block away from my house, call you in five."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

I approached my house in less time than usual, I guess I was really eager to eat. I rapidly opened the front door and without turning on the light, walked to the kitchen.

After placing the vegetarian take-out on the island, I opened the refrigerator and took out an organic unsweetened iced tea.

I walked over to the window and opened the window because the house was unusually warm and I thought it best to let the cool breeze come in from outside than turning on the air conditioning.