Chapter 3

"Who was that guy?" Evan said in a tone unlike himself.

"Some boy that came into the bakery today and was trying to get my number. Calm down." I roll my eyes at him, "And I didn't expect to see you here." I raise an eyebrow.

"Some boy..." He mumbled quietly yet I could still hear him, "Lucy told me you'd be here." 

Of course Lucy would tell Evan.

"Oh." I nod and Evan still was glaring in Dylan's direction, "Stop being an idiot." I wave my hand in front of his face which he blinks and then watches me carefully.

"I don't trust him and hey! I'm not an idiot!" 

"Mhm. Believable." Now I turn my attention to Dylan, his almost black hair shines even though the sun has tarted to go down, his hazel eyes were very noticeable, and he had a light smile on his face as he talked to the boy next to him. Which the boy didn't look much different, maybe brothers?

Just as I told myself to look away, Dylan's eyes caught mine, which I quickly turned back to Evan.

"As I said, I don't trust him. Can we leave?" Evan says and then gives me no time to answer that question, "Alright we're leaving." He takes my hand and pulls me through the crowd. As I look back I noticed Dylan had been coming to where we were once standing. 

"I'll walk home with you." He says coldly and all I could think, is who the hell pissed in his cheerios this morning?

-

My phone buzzes loudly telling me that it's time to get up. I put a hand over my face and groan, not in the mood to get out of my bed. Yet shortly after arguing with myself I stood up, my hair was in all directions. Running a hand through my hair, I cringe at all the knots.

My house was still quiet like it was last night. Once I got home last night after listening to Evan say "Stay away from him, okay Hayden?" a billion times, my mother wasn't home. No sign of her boyfriend or her loud voice that usually bounced off the walls once I would enter the house. 

Last night I was too tired and stressed to worry like crazy about it. I just told myself that she probably would be back in the morning, but now that I still don't even hear a sound in the house, my heart is going faster. 

I take my phone and go out of my room, straight to my mom's. Opening the door, I have my fingers crossed she's sleeping, yet no. Her bed is made and everything is like it usually is. 

What the hell?

I glance down at my phone and press the home button, nothing. No notifications what so ever. 

Evan wasn't even here to wake me up, which to be honest I wasn't really shocked about that. I take one more look into my mom's room and then go back to mine. Throwing on clothes, not caring really what I wore. All I wanted to know was where my mother was. 

I go downstairs after finally making myself slightly decent, I look in kitchen and no ones there, the clock is just ticking on the wall. 

I sigh and just decide on going to Dunkin Donuts on the walk to school, alone. 

Kind of wishing Evan was here, I walk out of my silent house. I mentally note that if my mother isn't home by the time I come home for lunch, to call the cops. I stare at the drive way for a few seconds, feeling weird seeing no car.

I shake my head, clearing my thoughts as much as I could. This walk to school will be ever so boring.

-

My backpack falls to the floor as I open my locker, I put my cup of coffee on the top shelf, then quickly pull out any books I need. 

Grabbing my bag again, I take my coffee and close my locker. Everyone was with their group of friends, laughing and talking, and I just felt so out of place without Evan next to me. Where was he?

I check my phone and see there's six minutes to get to the other side of the school to my class. I throw the coffee out in the nearest garbage can and squeeze through a bunch of people.

Four minutes later I arrive in front of my trigonometry class. When I walk in my class my teacher smiles which I return with a lighter smile.

Sitting in my seat, the bell soon rang and I quickly toned out everyone except the teacher.

Lunch needs to hurry up.

By the time lunch came I just wanted to sleep for eighty years. I walk through the almost empty halls, yet stop once I see Evan standing by my locker.

Walking closer I wave to get his attention, "Hey."

"Okay good, you're here. Listen, I'm sorry about yesterday I was a total asshole and I just-"

"No, It's fine. No need to explain." As soon as I said that relief filled his face and he smiled.

"Thank the heavens. So are you going to lunch?" He questioned as I took books out of my bag.

"Actually going home for lunch. Wanna come? Okay scratch that, not a question. You're coming." I state and close my bag.

"I would've said yes anyway. Why all of a sudden you're going to your house for lunch?" He questioned and raised an eyebrow.

I leaned against my now closed locker, "Well last night I came home and it was weird because my mother wasn't there. But because I was pretty much half asleep I told myself she'll be back in the morning. Though when I woke up she's still no where to be found. I mean I think if she was going somewhere she'd tell me or write a note or even call!" 

Evan quickly takes my backpack and my hand, dragging me to the school exit. "Let's go see, I'm here for you Hay. Just try not to worry, okay? I know it's difficult. I'd be stressing too if I were you." I could tell he was worried too because his grip on my hand was tighter. 

As we walked my breathing got harder, so many thoughts ran through my head. Like what if she's not there, then what? 

I was happy Evan was with me because if I was alone calling the cops it would be even more difficult. 

I counted each step I took, trying to stay calm. 

Evan must of heard me counting because I heard him mumble "It's okay Hayden." a few times.

I was hoping he was right. That she would be home, standing behind the kitchen counter as always, I even wished she was with a boyfriend. As we got closer to turning into my block, I stopped Evan for a second and took a deep breath.

"Okay let's go."

I kept chanting "Please be a car in the drive way" in my head and I could feel Evan had crossed his fingers in my hand. 

---------------------------------------------

Happy Labor Day weekend :)!

Possibly will update in the next few days or maybe not. School starts for me on Wednesday :((