Chapter 1

I hated the color of these walls. My hatred burned inside of me as I stared at the pastel green color, that was slightly chipping. I take a step closer to the door, yet instead of walking inside, I slam the door shut. There was no point in staring into a room filled with bad memories.

"Hayden!" My best friend, Evan, dragged me down my stairs. "Were going to be late!" I shrugged at him and grabbed a granola bar from the counter.

"Try to make more friends today, alright?" My mother said in a voice that sounded totally different than seven years ago. She didn't even dare to look my way, but instead she continue to make out with one of her weekly boyfriends. I set down the granola bar, I picked up a few seconds ago because my appetite was lost.

Once we got out the door, Evan mocked my mother's words "Try to make more friends today, alright?"

Right, like that was possible. Making friends means talking. And talking? I'd rather not.

The only people I talk to is my mother, Evan, and my teachers. The rest of the world I shut down a while ago. Yet I used to talk a lot, well that's until seven years ago.

"Can we just skip school? I don't feel that well." I frowned at him.

"You're fine. Don't play that card on me. Come on, school's not bad."

"Says the one that's fine with talking." I sighed.

"Hey, maybe you'll meet someone and open up to them." He gave me a slight smile. Shaking my head at him as we continued to walk. No, we usually didn't walk to school yet because Evan got his car taken away by his parents, it was are only choice to walk.

Senior year needs to come to an end faster, only two months to go!

Better make the best of them.

-

Forth period is the worst.

No that's an understatement, it's just pathetic and awful.

Well, to me it is. I'm sure if you asked anyone else they would say it's wonderful. This class I am speaking of is drama. Where all we do is present and present and present. I would be an honor roll student yet my C (that dramatically goes down everyday) in drama is the only thing stopping me.

At the moment I'm watching some boy Jared present some skit on war. Which is mostly him walking back and forth with a paper gun.

"Hayden? Are you ready to present?" Mrs. Bordon says and I shake my head, no.

"Ten points off." She then mumbles something to herself and calls the next name. Students around the room stared at me for what felt like years, some laughed and I could hear them calling me "mute".

I look down at my desk for the rest of the class, counting down the minutes.

"Hey mute!" Someone poked me on my shoulder from behind.

Turning around quickly, I glare. The boy had blonde hair and piercing green eyes, and I realized who he was from my history class. His name was Peter, everyone loved him for his so called "charm". Though all I could tell so far was he was a total asshole.

"Aw, don't want to speak up?" He gave a fake pout and I rolled my eyes turning back around. "Come on mute, talk!" He tapped me again, yet even rougher than the first time.

Just as I was about to ask to go to the restroom, the bell rang, saved by the bell. I rushed out of that painful hell and got to lunch before most people arrived. Yet my luck, Evan sat with one of his friends, Devin, they both looked up and Evan smiled yet his friend just looked away. Wow, okay.

I sat down next to Evan and waved, then pulled out an apple and grilled cheese. Yet the grilled cheese was already melting, thanks to California's hot weather. I sighed and quickly threw it away, taking a bite out of my apple.

"That's all you're eating?" Evan asked, concerned.

I nodded, taking another bite and then setting it down. Evan still watched me, yet then shook his head slightly and turned to Devin.

"Get me another slice of pizza if you're going back up there." Evan said in a louder tone than usual. Devin walked away, disappearing in the crowds of all the other students. "You're eating the other slice of pizza." He poked my side, making me jump.

"Thanks." I said lightly and gave him a smile, which he gladly returned.

I was surely grateful for Evan.

-

Evan and I met in forth grade, yes when I was still the bubbly, talkative, girl. At first I thought he was just a total idiot, noticing that the boys he hanged out with put crayons up their noses for fun. Yet once I got passed his crazy, curly, brown hair, I started to learn more about him. How his parents divorced when he was only six and how he had one older brother that never payed attention to him.

At that time I had a great family and nothing to complain about, so Evan was my main priority to make him happy.

"My father keeps coming home later and later." He frowned at me, as we continued our work.

"Do you know where he goes?" I asked, curious. Yet as we grew older we both know where he was going every night.

"No. I wish I knew. My brother still never seems to care." He looks up at me and all I saw was pain.

"I'll be here for you, always." I gave him a wide smile, as our teacher glared and shushed us.

Which, weirdly, made us laugh like crazy.

As forth grade drew to a close, even when my life changed, when I stopped talking and no longer was myself, Evan never left my side.

-

"I have to work at the bakery tonight, sorry." I shook my head in disappointment.

"Aw, alright. Maybe tomorrow?" Evan said hopefully.

"Yeah, movies at your house tomorrow night." I nod and smiled as we got to my doorstep.

"Good luck at work!" Evan said with one last smile and walked off.

I opened the door, bracing myself to walk into the hell hole called "home".

----------------------------------