Chapter 14

James stared at his bedroom ceiling thinking about how fucked up it was.

Patrick rang half an hour after their date ended and asked Diana to go out with him. He said he had something to show her and there she was out again to god knows where and he couldn't do anything to stop her.

His heart slightly chipped .....

Patrick! How could he lose to Patrick? He came out of nowhere, just jumped straight in, and took her breath away. But he had to admit that Patrick was rather aggressive with his approach. He called her often and took her out often. He flattered her with flowers and chocolates. Of course Diana would melt.

He knew he should do something similar but deep down inside he wanted her to like Nicholas, not James – his fake character, not Patrick, but Nicholas.

Nicholas... he didn't make any attempts to talk to her yet. Not that he hadn't thought about it, but he didn't know how.

He couldn't just email her, that would be very rude, not contacting her at all was also rude. Calling her on the phone wasn't an option either, she would recognise his voice and seeing her face-to-face would blow his cover, regardless his hair colour, glasses or no glasses.

He grunted. He really had no way to be Nicholas to charm her without telling her the truth.

He wanted to stay here a bit longer. He wanted to get to know her more. Besides, Diana wasn't ready for her announcement. He needed to make sure that he would be there to guide her when she made her first move as a Wellesley, he didn't want to bother her with Nicholas yet but now he was running out of options. He had to tell her who he was before he lost even further to this commoner Patrick.

"Ana... " He whispered weakly, recalling all his memory about her.

He used to complain and beg his father to let him back to London earlier, now he laughed at his past self.

At first all he wanted to do was just to survive from the hell that his father had put him into. But after seeing how messy and random a girl could behave he changed his intention.

Diana was his source of happiness now.

She was a clown in a way, she did whatever she wanted without considering about the consequences. She was that type of girl who would jump into the water head first without checking the depth.

Watching Diana entertain him by her epic decisions about dating Patrick just because he was cute, taking James out because she promised when she was drunk, or accepting the engagement to Nicholas because she thought arranged marriage to a prince was romantic, about which even now she seemed to forget.

James had never known a girl who couldn't care less about fame and money or what people thought of her.

And her mouth, oh boy, that full pinkish lips of her spat venom.

But despite all the chaos that she created intentionally or unintentionally she had never run away from it, she had never given up and she always found a way to tackle it.

He admired her spirit and her strength that she never knew she possessed.

He wanted to help. He wanted to be part of the fight that she was getting herself into and he wanted to turn her into a lady, a gracious woman who deserved to be called a Wellesley.

And maybe by the end of this journey he would be able to make her fall in love with him, Nicholas. This princess Wellesley, he wanted her to be by his side, be his wife.

He turned sideways, fixing his pillow.

Diana...

Her gorgeous brown hair, her slender body, her full lips, her big brown unassuming eyes. The sweet scent of her skin, the way she stretched every morning, the way she smiled at him, the way she sulked and complained about his bullying.

She invaded his dream almost every night and he just realised that his favourite time of the day was to wake her up so that he could see that cute sleepy face of hers and have their first banter of the day.

He missed her when she wasn't at home and he tried to find an excuse to call her or have lunch with her.

He loved every bit of her, he adored her and nothing he could do to stop it, not even when she dated Patrick.

He knew he was her number two or three or maybe he meant nothing to her but he was helplessly in love with her and he couldn't get out of it. He accepted the fact that he wasn't her number one.

James groaned.

He didn't want to admit that his father was right, that the Stratford and Wellesley union was a great idea after all. He didn't want his father to win but he also didn't want to lose her.

The famous Nicholas Stratford had been brought to his knees by this princess of Wellesley and she didn't even want him! How sad!

Sighing he got out from his bed, the digital clock on his desk showed two in the morning. He went to bed straight after Patrick picked her up. It was three hours ago.

Slowly he walked along the hallway to her bedroom, her door was closed, meant she was inside sleeping. He released his breath that he didn't know he held. Diana went home! She didn't spend a night with that jackass. Came to think about it, she always went home after hanging out with Patrick. She seemed to tell him the truth that she wasn't so keen of building a serious relationship with Patrick. She let him call her his girlfriend but she treated him more like a very good friend, not a lover.

James continued his steps and carefully opened her door, he wanted to see her, he missed her.

He blinked a few times to adjust his vision and soon he saw her sleeping on her bed. Her blanket was down to her hips and her bare back greeted him. He knew she kept wearing the nighties that he bought to prank her, despite the cotton pyjamas that he got her soon after she yelled at him. Surprisingly she had never worn those.

Did she secretly like his choice? He smiled.

He came closer and carefully pulled the blanket up to her shoulder using the chance to peer over her face then he heard her mumbled his name.

"James... "

He froze. Had she dream about her? He grinned but it wasn't for long till the next syllables came out from her mouth.

"You pervert, get out of my room... "

***