Alec

I feel sick. My stomach churns as I gaze over the vast camp, full of dirt and broken-down houses. Tiny spots that I can barely make out are moving sluggishly down the streets. I assume those are the humans. They seem tiny compared to the huge encampment, like ants moving around in a huge maze. I can make out our soldier camps by the distinctly cleaner materials, such as fresh drapes and metallic roofs. I find it horrible. These people have to live in these dusty slums, barely scraping together a living. Why don't we help them? Maybe they wouldn't be so angry with us then... But no. I'm forgetting what these people are. They're criminals, murderers, traitors. That's why they're forced to live out there. They deserve it. I frown. Our government is trying to protect us inside the walls. I immediately feel very grateful and listen intently to our guide.
"...Every day, the rebel farmers go out to the fields and harvest their crops so they can bring it back to our city. A few troops gather the food outside the gates. They leave one quarter of the goods for the rebels. You might ask why the rebels don't just refuse to give us their food, but if they don't, we cut off their water, their small power supply, and we don't let them use the trucks. So, if they don't give us food, they won't get any either. They depend on us. This way we can make sure that they keep calm." Our guide smirks. She has a small, faint scar over her left cheek. I wonder what happened. I realise I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of this woman; she has a coldness about her, and seems very mysterious - like she's watching your every move. A cold chill runs down my spine as her piercing eyes move over me. She gives a slight disapproving frown, and I feel puzzled. What did I do wrong? The moment of tension ends, however, as she turns her gaze to a computer screen and types something in. My mind drifts and I wonder if it'd be difficult to train as a soldier. I doubt that I'll pass the test, but if I do, I'll have to be physically and mentally ready for my training.
I am shaken from my thoughts as I hear a loud blast coming from the direction of the huge window. The class shuffles forward to see what happened. I catch a glimpse of something that looks like flames and tons of smoke over part of a soldier camp, deep in the middle of the slums below. My mind whirs as I try to figure out what might have happened.
An alarm blares extremely loudly; I cover my ears with my hands. A robotic voice comes on over the speakers.
"Explosion in Station 5. Causes unknown. Soldiers are inspecting area. Wait for further information and then take action."
I glance at our guide. A look of confusion passes over her face - but only for a few seconds - until she masks it with a calm stature. She types something on the computer and calls out,
"Don't send in extra troops just yet. It might just be an accident. If anything else happens, report straight to me. I'll be next door." She waves a hand at the class and begins walking towards a door at the far end of the room. "Come, you'll have to stay in here while this situation is sorted out. Don't worry, it's probably nothing. I'll let you out in an hour or two."
Slight rage flares inside me. An hour or two?! We'd be stuck in there like birds in a cage, just because of a small explosion? I sigh and follow the others. It's probably not a good idea to argue with Mrs. "Calm-And-Collected". As soon as everyone has filed into the stuffy room (which can barely hold all of us), the guide slams the door, and I swear I can hear the click of a lock a second later. I look over the heads of the other students and meet Willow's eyes. I frown, trying to ask a silent question:  What was the point of that?
She shakes her head, and a second later shrugs.  I don't know... I guess we're stuck in here.
I sigh and sit down in the floor, the confused murmuring of my former classmates lulling me into a state of semi-consciousness.