Alec

I wake up to the sound of my mother banging on my door.
"Alec! You have to get ready for your tour of the walls!"
I groan and turn onto my side. Today I have to tour the city walls with my old high school class. When a person turns 17 years old, he or she has to take some sort of test to see if they have to go to the army and fight rebels and other fun stuff. It's a great honor, and all, but I probably won't pass. The only thing I'm good at is running.
So anyway, today I have to go to the city's walls to get a tour, since I'm turning 17 in a week. I finished school two months ago. The government says that people only need ten years of education.
Finally I get out of bed, yawning. I put on 'formal' clothes, as I am required. Afterwards I head towards the kitchen to eat breakfast. My family is gathered around the table: Rose, my little sister; Zack, my younger brother; my father, and my mother.
"Morning," I mumble.
"Good morning, sweetie. Are you excited?" My mother beams at me.
"I guess..." I sit down and grab a piece of special-occasion cake. For a minute I lose my appetite, but then I think of the long day ahead of me, and wolf down my cake.

Half an hour later, I am getting ready to leave. Rose runs up to me.
"Promise me you'll tell me all about it?" She pleads with big eyes.
"I promise." I smile, reaching down to hug her.
"Have fun!" She mumbles into my shirt.
I nod, straightening up and waving to my parents.
"See you." I say, walking out of the door.

A/N: Thank you for reading. Please comment your opinion! :)