Chapter 6: True Friend

It was a chilly night when Thatcher came to help me organize our ideas onto paper. He had brought wine and that surely made the night. I had gone to Mateo's house that morning to make sure he was doing fine. He was; so fine that he was standing right in front of me.

"Ace." Mateo muttered underneath his heavy breath. He entered my apartment as if I had invited him a month in advanced.

"How's the shoulder?" Thatcher asked sitting at the small kitchen table.

"You know what they say... what doesn't kill you, makes you want to drink tequila." Mateo chuckled.

"Are those for me?" I asked gazing at the beautiful flowers.

"Nope, Thatcher's." Mateo turned to a stunned Thatcher. "Of course they are for you." He turned to me and handed them to me.

Mateo held them as I placed my hand over his. My lips separated as he spontaneously placed his lips on mine. I coughed as I separated myself from the strong current that wanted to bring me closer to him. I was choking on the surprise itself.

"You caught me off guard!" I shouted at Mateo who was grinning, until I gripped him from his shirt.

I paused as I leaned close to kissing him. It was probably inappropriate for me to do so but I held my lips close to Mateo's.

"Next time, do it right." I whispered and released him from a trance I placed him under with the very confined space I gave him to breathe.

"Sure thing. I have to go see my mom and fix her car up." He smiled, waved at Thatcher and grasped my hand. He brought me out the apartment.

"So what's up with him being here?" He asked. I knew he would be curious.

"Co-worker, duh." I stated. I smiled at his curiosity, and realized it's the twin of jealousy.

"Sorry I kissed you in there. That was kind of disrespectful." Mateo blushed. Mateo never was the one to be spontaneous.

"You're forgiven." The words were partially covered in disappointment. I liked the spontaneous side of Mateo.

Mateo stood there, unsure what to do. Thatcher came to the door, he look worried.

"Hey, Ace...um I don't know how to cook. Your thing is boiling pretty quickly." He was worried that it might just overflow.

"Okay." I replied but he stood there, waiting for me to follow him in. Mateo grinned, and shook his head. There was too much testosterone in one area, and it began to suffocate me.

Thatcher gazed at his dinner, and smiled. I made him my mom's famous spaghetti. He seemed to be the only man that treated me with this blissful respect. I would day dream about him. I believed it was just the closeness that would draw me conclusions. If we were to date, I would begin to think. Then I would stop myself because even as a teen I would fall into those grand gestures that I thought were romantic and that was how love was suppose to be.

"What?" Thacther questioned my gaze.

"As a teen I would have dreamed for a man to bring me flowers." I chuckled at my stupidity.

"A man should bring a woman flowers." He stated.

"I know but that's how I described if a man loved me...but now-" I stopped because what I was going to say next would be volgur.

"Continue..." He grinned. He stood up from the stool and leaned against the counter top.

"Now I want the rose peddles to be all over my bed. I want to feel loved. I want to make it." I took a step back from the counter. I must have sounded like a whore I thought.

"Well Mateo is obviously up for making love." Thacther said.

"I know, but what if thats all he wants from me at the end? A booty call with no strongs attached. Like he just wants to be friends and I have sex with him and he ends up feeling nothing more. That would make me a slut. Especially if I go around having sex like a man does. My true love would find me disgusting." I stated with the out most trust in him.

"Having sex doesn't degrade you. It shouldn't. If a man can't see you for more than just for sex...we'll he isn't a man." He gripped my waist.

"I can lay my hands on every part of your body, but I see you just the same. You are a strong woman with a world to save. Have no shame in your sexual life." Thacther let go of me. I felt closer to him with my clothes on then i've ever felt with a man with my clothes off.

"I sound like a teenage girl...sorry." I responded to the silence.

"Don't be. I like seeing your volnurablitly in your words and thoughts. Makes me feel like i'm your friend and not a stranger who... well ambushed you this year."