Chapter Four: Normality

That night I wanted to be freed from my guilt. A guilt that clouded my mind; a guilt that made my heart too heavy to lug around within me. So I drank, and drank, then I could no longer see right. I could barely walk, so I rested on the floor.

"Angelica, Angelica!" The knocks on the door made my eardrums vibrate in throbbing pain.

"Wake up." Thatcher stood above me. As I opened my mouth to scream he muted me by clamping his hand over my mouth. My mind spasm as it remembered that night's event. Thatcher places a finger to his lips, as I gazed up at him from the cold floor. My eyes began to water, and my pulse went rapid.

Thatcher lifted me onto my bed as the door flew off its hinges. Mateo's voice followed the loud echoed boom. Thatcher dropped his hand as Mateo charged into my room with his gun raised.

"Police- Stop!" Thatcher raised his arms above his head. Mateo's voice sounded like thunder. Thatcher was shirtless and so was I. Last night after ripping my suit off I hadn't thought about putting on a t-shirt.

"Do you know him?" Mateo asked me with the gun pointed at Thatcher. I was wearing my sports bra so I didn't think about hiding my almost bare chest.

"He's a co-worker" I mumbled as I still felt my body floating. I had stood up too quickly.

"Angelica-Porque?" Mateo began. "Why the fuck is he here?" I couldn't respond, as I felt my body crashing down like a wave.

"Can't you see she's had too much?" Thatcher said in a belittling tone.

Mateo didn't respond, but lowered his gun. He helped me back onto the bed. Thatcher made a phone call. Mateo shook his head in disappointment. My actions had influenced his opinion of me at that point. He could barely look at me.

"Why the hell are you so drunk? And with this-"

"We had gone to get a couple of drinks and it accidently became more than a couple" Thatcher explained.

"Really?" Mateo glanced at Thatcher. He was angry at him, and disappointed with me.

"Don't you have a job?" I ask Mateo. I had glanced at the time. It was six o'clock in the morning.

"You do as well, so it fucking tweaked me out when you didn't show at Cubano's." He replied.

"Sorry- You could go. I'm fine." I stated, Thatcher wouldn't be a problem- I could tell by the way he protected me today. "I can call off today." He took out his phone. I placed my hand over his to reassure him.

"I'm fine-I promise." I said with complete honesty. I saw Thatcher's daring eyes piercing Mateo's back. It wasn't a stare that would kill but more of an analyzing stare, more like a gaze. Thatcher gazed at where Mateo would place his gentle hands and would seem worried if he placed them on me.

"I just called in for you, and myself. So don't worry Mateo. I can take care of her." Mateo rolled his eyes and nodded at Thatcher's words.

Once Mateo had finally left, the air wasn't as thick and heavy as it was. Thatcher gazed at me for a while before I asked...

"What?"

"He's such a jealous one isn't he?" Thatcher's voice was scratchy with a hint of annoyance, an annoyance that flawed his perfection.

"He's my best friend." I felt like I had to explain. "Plus I think he's my soul mate" I added.

"That's obvious." Thatcher paused and gazed at me. Within those seconds I realized I was still wearing my bra and only my bra. I quickly but securely braced myself to get a t-shirt.

"I'm not admiring your breast." He stated.

"Well that doesn't make anything better, my breast are pretty nice for you not too. You must be gay." I slipped into my large t-shirt.

"That's not what I meant. They are nice but I'm not here to admire them." He clarified.

"Then why are you her Thatcher? Because I've been trying to figure that out." I turned around to face him.

"To protect you." He stated and came closer to where I was standing.

"I can do that just fine." I took a step backwards creating space between us. My lungs began to work harder every time I was near him, and still I couldn't seem to steady by breathing at a natural pace.

"Well if you haven't notice you aren't normal." He smirked with his soft pink lips gently curving.

"Sure seems normal to me." Thatcher was referring to the energy that would flow out of my fingertips. My powers were a part of me ever since I could point. My moms were slightly afraid of them, took me to meet many priest begging for answers. My moms were afraid of them, my powers, not me. But eventually they learned to love it as part of me. It's weird to describe it that way. But my powers were merely a scar that my parent's hated seeing but after a while due to mere exposure it seemed normal to them as well.

"You were born into them, so obviously you view them as a part of puberty or something humane. To be honest I was surprise that your mothers didn't allow you to become a lab rat." He stated with ease, an ease that would slowly wash away as you realize the hidden insult.

"Yea, unbelievable...to believe to gay mothers would give away their recently found little girl." I remember my mothers repeating It was fate various times when I swore I hated myself for feeling like an alien- an error in their calculated gay life. I believed in my young age that the only reason they kept me was because they were gay and would have it extremely hard to find another child.

It was then when I heard shots being fired. It made me shiver from the expected drop of temperature which the shots always would foreshadow. Within a drop of temperature there was always death. The sounds made my gut feel heavier. Something was off in the world.

"Angelica!" I heard Mateo scream briefly.