Chapter Three: Bottles of Sin

I took a deep breath as I sat up in my bed. My body shivered from fear, and anger. I stood on the cold wooden floor, slowly balancing my slowly awakening legs. I stared at my wall covered in pictures from the murder scene. A couple of leads that I had searched into were placed near the bottom. All the leads had led me to irrelevancy.

Out the door at three o'clock in the morning, I didn't feel ashamed to wear my pajamas. Well a black tank top and joggers. I briskly walked across the hallway and down the nearest stair case. I drove off that night to Mateo's house.

I walked to the door and he must have heard my car. He opened the door as I lifted my arm to ring the doorbell. He was wearing the male equivalent of my pajamas. Might be the first reason to why he was my go to psychiatrist. I meet him in high school where everyone bullied me for having Moms, instead of having a dad and a mom.

I didn't defend myself from the verbal abuse, but as soon as it got physical I would always take down my enemy. My mom, Gloria and my mama Alex would teach me how to defend myself when I got into the many foreseen fights. I knew how to protect myself from harm due to my loving mothers. Till, this day I believe that not even with two dads I would have been raised to become such a strong woman.

I first met Mateo when he pulled me off of a guy who had pushed me down. I wasn't intimidated by the opposite sex when it came to boxing it out. I knew I could hurt them twice as much as they could ever hurt me. Mateo yanked me off the asshole and it was my natural instinct to punch him, he caught it and twisted me around. Then when he let me go, he hit the asshole with an iron fist.

"Hey, Sorry to wake you up." I said.

"I actually just got back from my shift." He replied.

Mateo was a police officer which would explain his want to keep me from fighting when we were younger. Now older he's a real man. His dark skin was always a few shades darker than mine. As a Mexican I was a light brown and he was a bit darker. His afro-Cuban decent was poignant.

"What are you waiting for girl?" He smiled, ushering me inside.

"A formal invitation...You should know better." I chuckled as he wrapped me into his arms to drag me into his house. We were old, but always young. Together we weren't dying, we were living until our last breath together.

"Who was at the door?" Ashley walked through the doors of his bedroom.

I stood up as fast as I could. Ashley never enjoyed my presence and probably never would. I adjusted myself as well did Mateo.

"Didn't you forget to like turn off the oven you never use?" Ashley addressed me. Her blonde hair gently hanged over her shoulders.

"Come'on babe." Mateo gave her a stern look. Men, they are blinded by beauty. Ashley was beautiful but a major wench.

"It's okay, totally understandable." I smirked as she gave me the meanest piercing stare that could have frozen me to death. I killed her with my kindness.

"No, don't leave." He griped my arm to pull me back.

"I'll see you later-when it's bright outside, like always." My lips gently kissed his cheek. It was my revenge on the most irritating soul I had ever met.

"Fine."

When the sun came up a few hours later, I met Mateo at El Cubano for a cup of coffee. I hadn't had my nights rest. Yet, I wasn't exactly tired. My body was tired, but my mind was a bright light that kept me wide awake. "You look nice today." Mateo stated as I walked into the restaurant.

"I look nice every day." I said with a playful attitude that would vanished as soon as I seen my cup of coffee heading my way. Everything became serious when coffee was involved. Oscar, the owner of El Cubano, appeared suddenly and playfully whistled at me.

"Thanks Oscar." I blew him a kiss and a cute wink.

"You're such a diva." Mateo said disgusted.

"That title has been taken by your girlfriend." I quickly stated with a hair flip. I was always so serious at school and the early mornings with Mateo were the only times I felt young and wacky. It was the only place where I could be wacky. It seemed to me that if I was anywhere near Mateo we would travel back into the past where my fear wasn't the forming wrinkles on my face.

"Still..." He glanced away.

"You're not allowed to be jealous." I whispered. Mateo acted as if my words were the noise of a fly and if he didn't respond back it would eventually be forgotten and fade away.

At school, my freshman class waited until the bell rang to come into class. I believed it was my acting skills of a strict teacher that made them hate going to this class and even more to be inside it. That day surprised me, I didn't see Sky. I was hoping to see her with some type of hope glazing her eyes but it her presence was an empty seat of worries that day. It frightened me, so much that I had forgotten to assign homework. I was so frightened over the empty seat that my stomach wouldn't tighten when I thought about Thatcher. I didn't dare leave my room until the end of the school day.

I was in a rush when I locked my door to my classroom. My body felt a chilled sensation as I heard my name called. I swallowed and was left with cold hands.

"Can we talk?" Thatcher asked. His lips seemed to echo the words across to me.

"Yes, the weather is nice enough to break into my apartment later on. You're an English teacher, or so you say. Either way, my sarcasm and should be easily heard and picked-"

"English majors never shut up, do they?" He cut me off.

"Not when breaking and entering is a felony." I lock my room door and stomped away, wishing that heels weren't a pain.

I was in my apartment by five o'clock. Akando marched away from me as if he felt betrayed by my tardiness. I had gone around the block a couple of times annoyed by Thatcher and the chills he gave me. I prepared myself my third cup of coffee of the day. I sat down on the kitchen stool. I gave Akando a cat snack, and our friendship was like old times.

I prepared myself. Dressed in my cat suit, I placed my mask perfectly on my face. I went to see Sky. She shouldn't have missed that school day. I located her apartment. I quietly went up the fire escape. I recognized Sky's book bag on her desk top. My eyes darted around her room through the window.

She was lying down, with her back bare. My eyes watered as she lay with whip marks across her entire back. They seem to had took her last ounce of worth from her. They would most definitely leave a scar to last her adult life. It was difficult for me to breath. I had caused this. I was gasping, so much so I ripped of my mask. I was hyperventilating. The pain she must had felt when he did that to her, I felt as guilt.

I called the police. I couldn't fight her dad in the state that I was in at that moment. I would have killed him, with no remorse. I seen him pulled away from the house. Then, Sky was homeless. My eyes burned with guilt. I went home while Sky went into the system. It hurt. It hurt. It hurt. I blacked out that night with many bottles of sin by my bedside.