Movie Night

Your hands shook and shivered as you fumbled with your keys. Standing at the front door of your home, you could see your every breath. Tears froze to your cheeks as they spilled from your tired, (e/c) eyes. Winter had come with bitter brutality, and with everything going wrong lately, your heart felt colder too. At last, you unlocked the door and found warmth again. You were home. You could be with him now, but where was he?

You took off your coat and looked around. The TV was on, playing what sounded like Mickey Mouse cartoons, but other than that everything was quiet. The house seemed empty.

"Hello?" you said almost cautiously, although you were in your own home. There was no answer. "That's strange."

You wiped your tear-stained face with the back of your sleeve, took off your shoes, and walked into the living room. Just as you had suspected, Mickey Mouse was on one of his usual adventures. There was a bulky pile of blankets on the couch, and a half-empty bowl of popcorn sat on the end table underneath a lamp that had been left on. He had been here, but where was he now? Wherever he was, he was going to get it for leaving the house a mess.

You weren't really in the mood for TV, so you rummaged around in the mass of blankets, trying to find the remote, but it was nowhere to be found. With a defeated sigh, you thought, nothing is going right today. I can't even find the stupid remote. You plopped onto the couch and sunk into the mountain of comfort, only it wasn't quite comfortable. There was something hard underneath the blankets. You sifted through them, trying to find what it was. You could have sworn you saw what looked like blue jeans before someone screamed.

"BOO!"

The mass of blankets sprang upward and a pair of arms wrapped themselves around you. They would not let go. You screamed in fright and thrashed around until you felt yourself slipping off the couch, taking whoever was holding onto you along as well. As you fell, you heard a high pitched yell.

"Ahh!"

THUD. You both crashed to the floor. Whoever grabbed you had let go of you now. You quickly climbed out of the blankets and sat there, panting on the floor for a moment. The figure under the blankets started cracking up. You knew that laugh anywhere. All the fear you had felt suddenly vanished, and you started laughing too, shaking your head. I should have known, you thought.

Somewhere beneath the covers, someone asked excitedly, "Did I scare you?" He giggled. You breathed a heavy sigh and chuckled.

"Yes, Michael. The prank master has done it again. You were the most terrifying blanket monster I have ever encountered."

The blankets moved this way and that as Michael dug his way out. After some struggle, he popped his head out of the blankets, his long, black hair a total mess, and he smiled a smile that could light up the world. "Good! I'm glad," he exclaimed happily.

You smiled brightly and stared at him. No matter how often he scared you to death, you still adored him. Michael smiled back at you with sparkling, chocolate brown eyes, but his smile disappeared when he noticed the tears on your cheeks. He sat up, concerned.

"Hey," he whispered as he scooted closer to you. "What's the problem?" He brushed his hand gently across your face, wiping your tears away. "Did I scare you that bad?" he asked innocently. You couldn't help but giggle.

"No, Michael. I was crying before I got here."

Michael hastily got to his feet. He was wearing a red and black checkered flannel shirt, blue jeans, and two different colored socks: one purple and one bright green. Oh Michael, you thought, beaming up at him. He reached out his hand to help you up. After you were rescued from the sea of blankets, Michael began picking them up and placing them on the couch again. He sunk into the huge pile and patted the seat next to him. You gladly plopped down beside him, engulfed in the comfort of the blankets and the warmth of his body. Before you knew it, he had wrapped you both tightly in a cocoon of comforters, and you felt one of his hands slip around your waist while the other found yours and held it tightly. He looked down at you, his eyes wide and curious.