Chapter Sixteen

Christina stood undecided at the front steps. Her eyes wandered over the impressive building, which belonged to her. What am I doing? Hesitating, she drew a deep breath and closed her eyes. Mommy! I wish you were here with me, she thought, not sure which mother she was referring to—her maternal or her adoptive one. It didn't make any difference at that point, however.

The sound of the front door opening startled her. A young woman appeared at the doorway, wearing a starched white maid's uniform.

"May I help you?"

"I'm... Sophia Rosetti," Christina whispered.

"Oh, welcome, Miss Rosetti. So glad you're feeling better. Please come in."

Christina stepped inside with Johnny following right behind her. They both stood on the landing, staring at the place—Christina remembering what had taken place last time she was there, and Johnny seemingly dumbfounded by the beauty surrounding him.

"Welcome, welcome," an older lady appeared from the corridor leading to the back of the house. "I'm Kalliopi, the cook," she introduced herself, "and this is Marianna," she added, pointing at the younger maid.

"I didn't know there was going to be anyone here," Christina admitted, truthfully.

"Oh, yes," Kalliopi said. "Besides me, two other people work year-round at the mansion—my daughter, Marianna, as a maid, and my husband, Periklis, as a gardener. Periklis also fills in as the chauffeur when needed. Of course, when Mr. Antonio and his people were here, extra help was hired."

"Well, I'm glad you're here," Christina told Kalliopi and turned to Johnny. "As you can see, there was no reason for you to worry so much. I'll be fine."

She didn't mean to be rude, but right now, she wanted to be left alone. Furious with Dan, she needed to think.

"I'll let you rest and come back in the afternoon to see how you're doing," Johnny said, probably sensing her mood.

"That'll be fine," she agreed, even though she would prefer if he didn't come back today. However, she remained silent, watching him walking down the steps to his rental car.

Christina followed Marianna upstairs to a main bedroom—a beautifully decorated room, twice the size of the one Perdini had taken her to the first time she came to this house. A four-post mahogany bed dominated the area while a colorful love seat and two reclining chairs were situated by the French doors leading to a round balcony. She stepped out of her shoes and walked outside barefoot, enjoying the coolness of the marble tiles. Her bedroom balcony provided a breathtaking view of the pool and Myrtos in the background.

Christina drew a deep breath, overwhelmed by the powerful sensations rippling through her body. Mixed feelings of anxiety and joy surfaced, knowing she was standing on the same spot that her mother might have stood as a child.

Then her thoughts flew to Dan. She was furious with him. How dare he not give me a chance to explain? And then leave me at the hospital without caring how I would get home? She just couldn't believe it. After all they'd been through together, Dan should have more faith in her and not jump to conclusions like this.

"Would you like to take a bath?" Marianna drew her from her thoughts.

"That would be lovely, but I have nothing to wear except these ruined clothes," Christina admitted.

"No problem. There are plenty of clothes in the mansion. Mr. Antonio used to have lots of guests—especially ladies—and would keep extra clothes and bathing suits for any occasion. I'm sure we'll find something to fit you until you can go shopping. Or I can go and buy some things for you if you would like."