Chapter Fifteen

Johnny was sitting on the edge of Christina's bed, staring at her straight in the eyes. "Christina, I'm sorry," he said, and she could tell that he was pretty upset. "I'm sorry about everything and about showing up like this here. But I had to come... I had to see you and apologize for lying to you."

She reached and touched his hand. He squeezed her hand in his and reached over and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"I hope that someday you'll be able to forgive me," he said.

"Johnny," Christina replied and stared at him straight in the eyes. "You're my friend, and I forgive you. I just wish you had told me about all this earlier."

"You think you could ever trust me again?" he asked and searched her face.

Christina lowered her eyes. Trust was something very difficult for her. Ever since she had found out about her real identity, it had been hard to trust anyone. She hadn't even told her brother about all this. It was for his protection, she had told herself. But deep down inside, she knew it wasn't only that. She didn't want anyone to know. Johnny had been her friend for a couple of years. But still, she hadn't trusted him with her secret, either. Come to think of it, the only person she had trusted was Dan.

Realizing that Johnny was expecting an answer, she stared at him silently; she couldn't lie about something like that.

Johnny must have read her thoughts because he didn't insist. He sprung to his feet and strode to the window. "I heard you're been released tomorrow," he said, gazing outside.

"Yes," Christina responded. "I wish I could leave today."

"I can understand that. I felt the same way when I was in the hospital," he replied.

Silence stretched in the room for a while as if there was nothing more to say.

A few minutes later, Johnny turned to her. "Well, I'll let you rest. I'll be back tomorrow," he promised and left the room.

***

Dan was waiting outside. As soon as Johnny left, he walked back inside. He saw Christina lost in her thoughts and walked over and sat on the chair next to her bed. She turned and looked at him, giving him a warm smile.

"Everything all right?" he asked.

"Yes," Christina responded, simply.

He peered at her, expecting to hear more, but Christina kept quiet.

How did it go with Meyers? he wondered. What did he tell her, and how does she feel about him? Worried thoughts whirled around in his mind while the bitter sting of jealousy tormented him.

"What about Giovanni Perdini? Is he dead?" Christina asked suddenly, startling him.

"Who?" Dan asked surprised.

"There was a man on the yacht called Perdini," Christina explained. "I saw him lying on the floor, bleeding, after the raid. What happened to him? Is he dead?"

"I'm not sure," Dan replied. "But I can check on it. Why? Who is he?" he asked.

"Someone who saved my life," Christina replied and explained about Giovanni having seen her at the top of the stairs after the massacre at the mansion and keeping quiet about it. If he had said something, they might have shot her right then and there. She also told him about the things she had found out from Giovanni about her mother.

Dan listened to her quietly. "If he's arrested, I'll arrange for you to see him if you want," he promised Christina.

"Yes," Christina replied. "I would like to see him again."