Chapter Three

The sun was shining brightly when Christina woke up. She sat up disoriented and scanned her surroundings, trying to get her bearings. A cold wave of fear washed over her as last night's events came crashing down on her. Taking deep breaths to subside the pain in her chest, she wondered what happened to the girl the night before. Was she still alive? And what about herself? Why were they keeping her here, and what would happen to her? She knew that at any time she could end up a victim of those bullies' rage and lust, just like the maid.

Stumbling to the floor, she rushed to the bathroom, feeling her stomach doing flips. After throwing some cold water on her face, she stepped back to the bedroom and collapsed at the edge of the bed. I need to stay strong, she thought determined but couldn't help but being disappointed for not having found a phone to notify the police, or any way to escape.

An eerie feeling washed over her, realizing how quiet the house was this morning; she hadn't heard anyone coming or going so far. Glancing at the clock, she was surprised to see it was twelve-thirty. Something is up. By this time, someone usually had come to bring her something to eat, or at least check up on her.

She approached the French doors leading to the balcony. No one was in the yard. Stepping outside, she glanced at the woods that started where the grass ended and stretched all the way down the hill.

Lost in her thoughts, she was abruptly brought back to reality by the fierce barking of the dogs. They appeared from the woods, rushed toward the house, and ran around the corner where she couldn't see them anymore. I have to try to escape tonight. But how can I manage it with those dogs out there?

A couple minutes later, two guards sprinted from the woods toward the house. What's happening? She leaned over the railings as much as she could and tried to take a peek around the corner the guards and dogs had disappeared, but it was useless; she couldn't see anything.

All of a sudden, she heard a truck pulling up. Someone is here, she thought and then remembered the young maid telling her that someone was coming soon.

Whatever happened to that girl? Christina wondered and felt her heart sinking. I hope she's still alive, she thought, but deep down inside, she doubted it.

The sound of her bedroom door opening made Christina jump in surprise. Anxiously, she rushed back inside. It wasn't the usual maid who brought her the tray. This time it was a man-a scary, muscular man who had a gun strapped to his side. He laid the tray heavily on the table, and his eyes scanned the room and then rested on Christina intensely.

Christina stayed as far away from him as she could, too scared to even breathe. Her heart skipped a beat as he looked at her straight in the eyes. Christina tried to avoid making eye contact until she heard him inhaling deeply and glanced at him, uneasily. A jolt of fear shot through her as she saw him staring at her breasts. Oh, no! She bit her lower lip in agony. All she needed was to be sexually assaulted by this mobster. Instinctively, she raised her hand and pulled her shirt closed all the way to her throat.

As the man took another step closer, Christina frantically scanned around for a way out. But there was nowhere to go... Feeling shaky inside, she retreated until her back was against the wall.

She stared at him with eyes wide open from fear and swallowed hard, unable to move or speak. Seeing his big, hairy hand reaching for her, she almost fainted. She shut her eyes tightly and drew a sharp intake of breath. Feeling his hand grabbing the locket hanging just above her bust, her eyes flew open, and she stared at him, astonished.

"Where did you get this?" he asked in a deep voice with a thick Italian accent, peering at Christina strangely.

Christina swallowed hard as a warning bell went off inside her head. Be careful, she cautioned herself.