Alternative Ending

Hey guys! I decided to write this alternative ending for you all because I know a lot of you weren't happy with the original and I wasn't either. So I hope you enjoy this and please comment and let me know what you think.

Six months later

It's amazing how quickly your life can change. It feels like only yesterday I was meeting everyone at the train station, and for a split second I can almost imagine that things are fine. I think Johnny's funeral was the worst on all of us. Darry and Sodapop had to calm Dally down when Johnny's parents didn't even show up. Dally wanted to go to their house and "beat them to death," as he put it. And this was saying a lot seeing as how Dally could barely stand at the time having just gotten out of the hospital.

After the funeral things were touch and go for a while with the group. Dally shut himself away refusing to see any of us, Steve said that he was staying at Sylvia's. I remember trying very hard to pretend not to look completely heartbroken. Eventually, I just stopped going to the Curtis house at all. It's been four months now since I've seen any of them apart from Twobit. Apparently Dally started hanging around again and everything is almost back to normal despite the absence of Johnny.

This brings me to my current predicament. Twobit finally convinced me to come and hang out with them again but now that I'm standing at the door I'm beginning to have second thoughts. I hesitantly follow behind Twobit wishing I would miraculously become invisible. Soda is the first person to actually notice me. His smile falters slightly before he gets everyone else's attention. "Look who's finally back." Soda says in a very unethusiastic voice. I catch Dally's stare for the first time since I walked in. I'm not sure if I feel like punching him or kissing him. I opt for neither.

When they all fall back into their conversations Dally gets up walks over to me. He grabs my arm pulling me with him outside. "What are you doing here?" He asks. Words fail me so I just stand there looking utterly confused. When I don't speak he begins to look annoyed. "Well?" Dally says in a more pressing tone. This time I know exactly what I would like to do. I raise my hand up slapping him across the face. "After everything we've been through, this is really how you want to end things?"

"Go back to New York. You're too good for this place and sure as hell too good for me." He states. "If you can honestly tell me that you don't want to be with me anymore, and that you'd prefer Silvia I'll leave. I promise you won't ever see me again. But at least do me one favor and just say how you really feel. Cause I don't understand any of this. I don't understand how we were fine one minute and then the next you won't even look at me." I tell him, trying not to cry.

"Losing Johnny made me realise that you deserve someone much better than me. Believe me when I say this, there is nothing I want more than to be with you. But you should have a better life than this, just like he should have." Dally says stepping away from me. "You don't get to decide what life is better for me. I chose you and this town and all of the crazy that goes with it."

He smiles slightly. "I was never with Silvia again by the way. I just told Steve that hoping he would pass along the message. I really am sorry for all of this. But I'll just never be some good guy." Dally tells me. "This isn't some dumbass fairytale. I don't want a prince charming. I love you, Dally." I say moving closer to him. I grab the collar of his leather jacket and pull him down towards me so our lips meet. He wraps his arms around me deepening the kiss.

If I'm being honest, I have no idea if this will work out between us or not. I don't know where we will all be within a year or even a month. Life is crazy and unpredictable and the only way to fully make the best of your story is to stick it through to the end. Maybe Dally and I will end up getting married. Or maybe Ponyboy will go to college, he's sure smart enough for it. Perhaps Darry will find a better job. Or Sodapop meet a new girl and fall in love with her. The possibilities are endless.

But for now, I'm content with just this moment here with Dally.