Chapter 11: Not Gonna Stop

I was lying on the couch with shades on, hoping to put emphasis on my condition. It was already dark outside, it was actually getting quite late and the guests had all left, but the living room lights were too bright for my sensitive eyes. Mom paced the floor, waiting for my Dad to arrive before giving the full lecture, though she grumbled now and then, "What did I do to deserve this?" or "Can't you be normal for once?"

A click of the door announced Dad's presence. He took his time getting his shoes and coat off before trudging forward and flopping down on a couch opposite me. He seemed already exhausted and probably wanted the whole ordeal over as fast as possible.

"Rocky Apollo," my Mom began in a voice quaking with fury. Her eyes drilled holes into my tender forehead, more uncomfortable than the lamplight. "Would you mind explaining your abhorrent behavior?"

I shrugged, adjusting my sunglasses. "Wasn't my fault," I mumbled.

"You caused a scene!" she hissed, her arms crossing over her chest. "Do you know what the other mothers are saying?"

I rolled my eyes. "Sorry for ruining your tea parties."

Mom glared at me, then the frown lines deepened between her brows. "Is that ketchup on your polo? The expensive Ralph Lauren polo I bought yesterday?" her voice was going higher and higher into soprano territory as her face flushed in anger.

I didn't have to look to see the bloodstains on my white button down. I half smiled, the memory of Kevin pulling me in a tight embrace still fresh in my mind. I was glad for the red smears, that marked me as Kevin's.

"No, Mom, it's blood," I calmly replied. By the way her nostrils flared, I guess she thought I being sarcastic.

"This isn't a joke, Rocky! Peter," she whirled around to face my Dad, who was twiddling his thumbs and sinking farther down into the couch. "Can you talk some sense into him?"

"Uh, sure," Dad blinked. "Rocky, listen to your mother." He wagged a finger at me half-heartedly. I rolled my eyes. The Ostrich had returned. I bet he wasn't even paying attention, his mind probably on the football game he was missing in favor of Mom's fit.

"And about River?" Mom prodded.

"Oh- oh yes. Rocky, you hurt River's feelings," he said sternly. "What you did was wrong." He sighed. "We were really hoping you two would get along."

"Instead, you paraded around your thug boyfriend!" Mom shrieked, her face turning red.

I choked on air. "W-what?" I sputtered.

"Don't even try to deny it!" she said. "Paul told me everything. No, he told his mother everything." Her lips were pressed in a thin, white line. "Do you know what it's like to hear second hand gossip about your own son?" she hissed. "It's downright humiliating!"

"Wow, slow down," I said, biting back a nervous giggle. This was totally surreal. Paul had really outdone himself this time. "I am definitely, 100% not dating Kevin. It would never happen, not in one million years." I shook my head at my parents' open mouthed disapproval. "Paul made that up because he wants to ruin my life!" I found myself yelling, which made my head hurt like hell. "You want to know the truth?" I demanded. "Paul has been bullying me since last year, he spreads rumors about me, beats me up every day, and gave me two concussions! Kevin is training me to fight back because he's failing school and I'm the only one who wants to tutor him! That's it, that's all that's between us!" My fists were clenched and tears spilled down my cheeks. I hated that I cried when I got angry.

Mom wiped the corners of her eyes, sniffling. "Then why were you two practically hugging today?" she flung out the words.

My jaw dropped. "That's what you care about?" I was too stunned to cry anymore. I rubbed my temples, my head throbbing. "Good Lord, Mom. Kevin thinks of me as a little pet or something. He doesn't like me in that way."

Mom blinked, her eyes shiny. "Really?" she asked hopefully.

"Yes, really," I said in exasperation. "Now can we get back to the part where I'm being bullied?"

Mom nodded. "I understand what you're going through, Rocky," she said. I opened my mouth to protest that no, she did not, but she cut me off, "You'll be transferring to a different school."

I stared at her in shock. "Really?"

"Yes, really," she replied, frowning.

I shut my eyes. Transferring. What I had been trying to do since Paul went postal, but Mom refused because she wanted me to skip two years to be that mother, the one with a genius kid. Either that or she hated me and wanted me out of the house as soon as possible. It didn't matter, she was finally letting me get away from my bullies, and I could have a new start at a new school. I opened my eyes, staring at the ceiling. But if I transferred, there would be no reason to see Kevin. "No," I said slowly. "No, I'm going to fight him."

"Rocky?" Dad said uncertainly. He looked exhausted, the stress sagging his cheeks low.

"I have to," I said. "I can't run away anymore."

"No, Rocky," Mom sniffed. "I will talk to Paul's mother. I don't care if I lose a friend," she said, sounding like a martyr. "I will not have you in harm's way."

I sighed. "Mom, I'm tired of being that sissy boy who gets beat up on the regular. I need to learn to take care of myself. Besides," I went on, "I'll probably get jumped at any school."

"You will be home-schooled," Mom announced. "I will hire a tutor."

"No!" I shouted, and immediately scrunched my eyes shut as I felt a stabbing sensation in my head. Rest and relax, the doctor had said. I doubt a yelling match with my parents counted. "No," I said more quietly. "Kevin will teach me to fight."

"I'd rather you train with a professional," Mom said. "I could get you lessons."

My eyes bugged out. "Is that what this is about? You don't want me hanging out with Kevin?"

Mom shook her head rabidly, looking sheepish. "No, of course not, Rocky," she snapped. "I think a professional would be better for you and wouldn't give you a concussion."

"You don't get to do this. You can't become a responsible parent after ignoring my pain for so long!" She flinched at my words. I put my face in my hands, ashamed.

I heard her walk out of the room, and Dad followed. Whispers and angry sounds drifted from the kitchen to the living room, and I knew Dad was sticking up for me for once. A few minutes later, my parents walked back in, drained and grey.

"Rocky," Dad said. "Your mother and I decided this is your business, and not ours."

"Thank you," I croaked out.

Mom sat down on the couch next to me. "Do you want anything, Rocky? Tea? Cookies?"

I half smiled. This was Mom's way of making up, through food. "Tea's fine, Mom," I said, though I just wanted to sleep. Mom gave me a watery smile and handed me a cup of tea, already made.