Chapter 7: Our Favorite Gentleman

I almost fell asleep on the way home. I think Kevin scolded me when I almost slipped off the seat, but he was so warm and his shoulder was the perfect as a pillow. It was so hard to stay awake.

"Almost there, Rocky," Kevin grumbled. "Don't you dare fall down." He was driving with one hand, the other clasped around my weakening arms.

I bit the inside of my cheek to wake myself up. "Sorry," I muttered.

We reached my house without incident, but Kevin insisted on walking me to my door. The bright lights of the house windows stabbed at my eyes, and I winced. I saw my parents in the dining room, my Mom chattering on the phone and my Dad pacing up and down.  "Great," I muttered. I was going to have to face my stupid parents and their questions. Oh God, they were going to go nuts when they saw Kevin. He was wearing simple gym clothes, but he had bad boy written all over him. My eyes focused on his split eyebrow and another, faint, half moon scar on his nose. Then, for no reason, I glanced at his mouth.

Kevin knocked on the door, frowning at me. "What?"

"My Mom's gonna kill me," I managed to get out just as she flung open the door.

"Rocky!" she shrieked, making me clasp my hands over my ears. Lord have mercy, her voice was worse than a fire alarm. "That's right, I'm going to kill you," she said and threw her arms around me. "Where have you been?" she demanded loudly into my ears, causing my head to throb.

"Ow, Mom, get off!" I groaned, pushing her away.

"I'm sick and tired of this, Rocky Apollo!" she yelled at me. "You come home late every day covered in bruises and cuts! What on Earth is going on? And who is this?" she added, examining Kevin. Kevin was a few paces behind me, staying out of it. But now, he stepped forward.

"I'm Kevin, Rocky's friend," he said smoothly because I was too busy making a show out of plugging my ears. I wasn't being dramatic - she was unusually shrill tonight. Not to mention she was completely embarrassing me in front of the coolest guy I know.

My Mom and Kevin shook hands. "Did you drive my son home?" she asked Kevin sweetly.

"Yes, ma'am," Kevin said. I stared, my mouth gaping. I didn't think it was possible to hear Kevin be polite. Then again, he never mouthed off to teachers, which shocked me as well.

"Thank you so much," my Mom almost choked on her gratitude, tears spilling from her brown eyes. I sighed. Yeah, Kevin, that's where I get my crybaby genes.

"You're welcome, ma'am," Kevin smiled, turned to me and winked. "I'd take him home anytime."

"What," I said.

Then Dad came to the door. "Glad you could join us, Rocky," he snarked at me. Then, nervously, he looked Kevin up and down. "Who are you?" he said bluntly.

"This is Kevin," Mom gushed. "Rocky's new friend. He's a Proper Southern Gentleman," she went on, to the embarrassment of everyone. My Dad peered at Kevin suspiciously, as if to say yeah right. "Rocky could learn a lot from him. Manners, especially."

"Ha!" I laughed out loud. My parents looked at me oddly. "I mean, yes. Kevin is very... gentlemanly. Indeed." Look up model citizen in the dictionary, and you'll find a picture of him. Or rather, a mug shot of him.

Mom clapped her hands over her mouth. "Good gracious!" she exclaimed. "Here I am, talking of manners, and I haven't even invited our guest inside."

"Do we have to?" I grumbled. Not that I didn't want to spend time with hot guys, but I was exhausted and so not in the mood for drama. I just wanted to curl up in my blankets and sleep forever.