Chapter 9: Eye of the Tiger

"Are you feeling better, Rocky?" my Mom asked as she threw open the curtains to let in the morning light. I let out a groan, covering my face with my hands. I could hardly think for the piercing sensation between my brows. "I'm guessing no?"

"Feels like someone's attacking my eyeballs with an ice scream scooper." It was the best way I could describe the sensation. My eye sockets ached as if swollen.

"You are such a drama Queen." The irritation leaked through her voice. Peeking through my fingers, I saw her straightening up my room, which was even messier than usual because I was not exactly in a state to keep everything neat enough to appease Mom's standards. "Your Dad and I are going to see the Robinsons today. You know, Dad's old friends."

I stared at her, aghast. "Who's gonna take me to the doctor then?" I asked. I'm sure Kevin wouldn't have repaired Dad's car yesterday if he knew my parents would hang with their pals instead of driving me to the doctor.

My Mom sighed as if I were the one being problematic. "I'm sure it can wait until Monday," she said. "You've had a concussion before so you know what to do. Basically nothing."

"But Mom!" I protested. "I need a doctor's note for school."

"They'll understand, I'm sure. You are already an exception, after all," she reminded me, as if that were a good thing.

I shut my eyes and gave up the argument. "Whatever, Mom."

"Oh, Rocky!" she said suddenly, clapping a hand to her cheek. "What are we going to do about therapy?"

I made a face. "Don't really feel up to it today, Mom." Don't get me wrong, my shrink was a great lady, but my mind needed a break. "Could you reschedule for me?" I asked her.

"Sure thing, honey," she assured me. I waited for her to leave before texting Kevin. Hey Kev could you do me a favor? It was kind of bold to text him out of nowhere, but I had a theory I wanted to test out.

It didn't take long to get a reply. Ya wut? Concise, as always.

I hesitated a few seconds before responding. Parents can't take me to the doctor today either. A+ parenting amirite? I paused my typing. This is the part where I asked him to drive me to the doctor. So if you could just let the teachers know I'm still sick, that would be awesome. I sent the message, even though it was clearly BS since parents made those kinds of calls. I waited for his reply, chewing my fingernails.

Just email em man.

My heart sank. It was a reasonable reply given my request was so stupid. Ah good idea. Have a good day. I put my phone back on my nightstand, sighing. Moments later, it buzzed with an incoming message.

Sorry hate talking to teachers.

Frowning, I replied. Why?

The three dots notified me Kevin was typing. Then they disappeared. My eyebrows scrunched together, which sent a throb through my skill. I winced and rubbed my forehead. Right. No texting when you have a concussion.

Another text appeared from Kevin, and I had to check. I'll take u to the doc. My face split into a grin as I wrote, ok cool.

My grin faded as I pondered his motives. I think Kevin was going to do anything, including skip school, to make sure I was all right. It wasn't that he cared for me - it was that my brain was his only hope to pass his classes. I was a better bet than any of the crappy teachers at our school, so he needed my brain to be at a hundred percent. That's why he was teaching me to fight, and that's why he never bugged the teachers, unlike the other rebellious kids at school. Regardless, I found myself downstairs on our balcony porch, waiting for him despite the glaring sun.