Chapter 9: A New Friend

Jake's POV

My nightmare began at midnight once again. I grabbed my flashlight and began my search for the monsters.

First, I went to the left door. There was no breathing, so I shined my light. I saw the blue monster move.

I went to my bed and shined my light on the little brown creatures.

I continued the whole system for a few hours, until it hit 5:00. That's when it got weird.

I heard a scurrying around the room. Something had gotten in, I knew it. I looked around frantically, but couldn't find what had gotten in.

Suddenly, a hand from behind grabbed me and pulled me to the air. I was now being held by someone on the ceiling.

I tried to scream or struggle, but whoever it was covered my mouth.

"Shh, don't scream, I'm a friend."

The voice was female. She sounded gentle and friendly.

I stopped struggling and she removed her hand. I turned my head and saw what looked like a girl. She seemed to be about ten or eleven years old. She had blonder hair and was wearing a dark shadowy robe, like the strange figure from the last few nights.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm a spirit. I was summoned by an old friend to help you." She answered.

"What about the other guy?" I asked.

"He couldn't come tonight. He's working on something else relating to your nightmares." She explained.

I nodded.

"I'm going to protect you for tonight and early tomorrow." She said.

"What is your name?" I asked.

"Cheryl." She answered.

"Can you set me down?" I asked.

"No, it's safest up here. None of the animatronics can get you up here." She replied.

The blue one suddenly walked in. It seemed surprised that it couldn't find me.

"See?" Cheryl said.

I nodded.

"How long will we be sitting here?"

"Just until your alarm goes off and you wake up." She answered.

"How long until then?" I asked.

"Just about half an hour." She replied.

So we sat there, exchanging small talk until the alarm finally went off. I sat up quickly, awake. The dream was over and Cheryl was gone.