The Car Wreck

Alana walked up to Charlie and placed a tender hand on his shoulder, causing him to turn around with the same unhurried pace. “Charlie, I know you’ve just come, and I know—,”

“It’s all right,” Charlie said, giving her an assuring smile. “I’ll help the detective. I’ll do anything if it helps anyone.”

“Thank you, Charlie. I think what Sherlock wants most is to find your father. The address we found, do you think he’s still there?” Alana studied the boy’s face in the dark, wishing she could see what he was thinking. She would never say so herself, but she found an attraction towards him that made her feel important and respected. He was also around her age, if not younger, and that in itself also made Alana draw closer to him.

Charlie moistened his lips and looked out into the night. “I can go and check. But my father moves all the time. He could be somewhere else in the world and not just England. He also is an expert in security; and knows people who can wiretap and spy on other people. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been following us.” In meaning to place his hand on her shoulder for comfort, his hand instead landed on her bare neck. His arm froze for a moment and his eyes locked in on hers.

Alana jumped underneath his touch and quickly spun out from underneath it. She clasped her hands together, muttered something, and returned to John and Sherlock’s side. “John, do you think we could get him back to the flat?”

“No, we’re not going back there,” John said, slowly dragging Sherlock to his feet. Alana assisted him. “I know a safe place that Sherlock told me about. We’ll go there until we know what else to do.”

Pulling Sherlock’s arm over her shoulder, Alana said informatively, “Charlie’s going to try and find his father—,”

“You should go with him,” John suggested innocently as he winced at the pain in his leg. “I don’t want anyone to go alone, and I trust you with him. I’ll stay with Sherlock since—,”

As if she wanted to confirm her love for John in the midst of the growing doubt in her heart, Alana said breathlessly, “I love you, John Watson. I really do.” She penetrated him with her brown eyes, hoping and pleading he would read her sincerity.

Smiling, John gave her a nod. “I know you do. And I couldn’t be here with you.” Together, the two hauled Sherlock out of the barn. Charlie joined them and took John’s place, as he didn’t want the doctor to stress his wound. The London air had become pregnant with the sign of a heavy rain and the pale moon had slipped behind the gray clouds. Looking up, John said, “If it rains, we won’t be able to see anything or anybody. We got to get a cab.” Hobbling to the closest curb, John looked up the streets in search of any passing vehicles.

The three of them were surprised at the emptiness of the streets. They all wondered if the creatures had already devoured the citizens, or perhaps, enough people saw what was going on so they shut themselves inside and warned others not to venture out into the streets. John dropped to his good knee and rubbed the swelling around his bad one.

“Look, headlights,” Alana said, turning her head to two yellow beams heading their way. Indeed, it was a black cab.

John waved his hand in the air, bringing the car up beside them. When the car had come to a humming stop, John popped open the back and ushered Charlie, Alana, and Sherlock inside. When he had seen they were all inside, he climbed into the passenger seat and shut the door. Strapping himself in, John turned to the driver to give directions before he was startled by a pair of wide, hungry eyes.

“Oh, God, John!” Alana shouted as she caught sight of the menacing face in the rearview mirror. Her hand flew for the lock before the driver sealed them inside. “Do something, John! Do something!”