Chapter Three:

Chapter 3:

After arriving back at their apartment they did not speak of what happened ever again. Anna sat on the roof in silence and watched the sun melt away along with the pinks and oranges of the sky and fade into the darkness of the night lit up by only the moon and very little stars.

Travis was inside, slumped on the couch... drunk.

Anna sat with her knees to her chest, a mixture of her long, dark hair and cigarette smoke whirling around her in the wind. It's funny how Anna's lips started to like the taste of cigarettes more than Travis.

Ashes fell, and words were unspoken. Anna wanted to cry so bad, but her body was too angry to let her. She felt so much while at the same time feeling nothing at all.

Not a single tear came from her eyes that night.

Some might call that bravery, but Anna called it emptiness.

~

After returning inside, Anna spotted Travis sprawled across the floor in a pile of his vomit. She picked up the beer cans that were scattered among the house like decorations and placed a blanket over his wasted body. Travis moaned and looked up at Anna. "Don't you think it's time to grow up?" Anna asked. Travis blankly gazed into nothingness then smiled. "This isn't Wonderland, baby. There's no reason for you to grow up." And with that, Travis passed back out and somehow Anna felt guilty for everything as if it was all her fault, but not caring, she picked up the last beer and chugged it along down the hallway to her bedroom.