Chapter 5: The Crowning

"So, I think that makes it three to two, right?"

Lucy gave Leo a threatening look. The two had raced many times in the week following Leo's first flight, and it quickly grew into an intense competition.

"You cheated that last time and you know it."

"I think you're just a sore loser."

"You know, I need a few more quills. I think I'm going to steal a few of those feathers while you're asleep."

Leo laughed, unsure whether to take the threat seriously or not, and the two walked back to the castle, chatting on the way. As they passed through the garden, Leo noted Lucy distractedly looking at Ephideus, who was sitting by the fountain, sketching on a piece of paper as he did sometimes. Leo hated to admit it, but the elf could actually draw really well.

"Taking a gander at our elf visitor, are we?" Leo said, provoking her for fun, since Lucy was distracted so easily.

"What?" she replied. "No, nothing like that. Well... he is a little cute, I suppose."

"He is over a hundred years old, you know."

"But he looks our age, so it doesn't matter."

"And he is kind of a jerk."

"Ephideus, a jerk? Why do you think that? Have you ever talked to him?"

"Well, no, not really. Have you?"

"A couple of times, but he doesn't really talk to anyone. He's very nice if you talk to him, but he'll never start a conversation with you."

"Well, he does love to start conversations behind other people's backs," Leo insisted, still salty about what he had heard in the library.

"So, people were actually talking about the kingdom's new monarch? I'm shocked. Don't hold a grudge against him, Leo, he is not gonna bite."

The two crossed the archway of the entrance and entered the throne room, where the two were approached by a curious pair. It was a tall, strong man in armour with an enthusiastic grin, accompanied by an ochre hound the size of a foal.

"Greetings, milord," said the man. "My name is Themba, I'm a lieutenant in the army. I'm honoured to meet you. I've been on leave for a while and haven't had a chance to do so yet. This here is my war hound, Crocotta."

"Hello."

The gigantic, terrifying hound barked and jumped like the friendliest of domestic dogs. Leo took this as a sign of friendship and was about to pet the animal when he noticed something wrong. Lucy's face had lost the little colour it had, her eyes were open wide, and she was breathing heavily and shaking. The dog barked happily again and Lucy fell to the ground, screaming, crying and shaking even more violently. Leo was at a complete loss; he had no idea of what to do, but luckily someone did.

"Themba!"

Out of nowhere, Hikaru approached the group. From her expression alone one wouldn't be able to tell she was angry, but her eyes made her feelings clear.

"What have I said about bringing your hound to the castle? Leave!"

"I'm sorry, ma'am! I completely for—"

"Leave!"

The man and his dog left, both with their tails between their legs. Leo couldn't blame them. Even when Hikaru was reprimanding Leo for failures in training she was never this scary. Hikaru's demeanour was calmer and more compassionate as she helped the young witch off the floor, still tearful and panting.