Chapter Ten

Alfred Enoch as Ead

***

The room looked like it had been built in the hollow of a tree. There was a four poster bed with velvety green drapes, dark, moss coloured sheets, and a ridiculous amount of cushions. It was slightly left of the door, and was curved to suit the wall, which had smooth oak wood covering it, giving the circular room the illusion of being inside a glorious oak tree. There was ivy creeping and crawling in through the huge bay window, complete with a golden padded windowsill seat, that was on the right hand side of the bed, opposite the door. A set of heavy looking doors were set in the wall to the right of the window, which I assume to be the wardrobe, and there was a little dumb waiter over there too, probably to send up food. The room looked gorgeous in the late afternoon light, and I couldn't wait to see the sunset through the window.

I walked over to the wardrobe and threw open the solid doors. Inside was at least a hundred dresses of all different shapes and sizes. I looked through them and found the perfect one.

It was a shimmering, white silk dress, fitted at the top but loose at the bottom, shorter at the front, so that it came to my knees, and the back draped all the way down to my heels. It had straps of woven gold spirals and gold detailing all over the front. The gold detailing made me feel comfortable, since gold is a mix of Dark and Light, much like myself. The white was a bold move, but it suits me and my troubles, so I went with it.

I removed it from the hanger and draped it over my bed, since I wasn't putting it on until I had cleansed myself. I conjured up a bath and filled it with water and bubbles. I hopped in, washed myself and got back out again, drying myself with the air. I twisted my hair up into a messy bun and slipped into my dress, which molded itself to fit me perfectly. I didn't bother with shoes, not many fairies do.

And I did all this without crying about my aching heart. Well, I may have cried in the bath, but that's it.

I sat on the bed (turns out the quilt was made of moss) and I waited for Rafi to return.

A lot of things run through your head when you are fugitive that's back in your hunter's playground, but my most worrysome thought was about what the Queen would do. Would she give me to the Darks as a sort of act of good faith? Would she throw me out and have nothing to do with me? Would she use me? Would she kill me to make sure I didn't fall into the hands of her competitors?

There was a knock on the door.

I guess it's time to find out.