Chapter Twelve

Alex opened his eyes; he was in total darkness. As time went by his vision adjusted to the blackness. There were the branches of large trees and leaves all over the ground. The little light that lit the night was from the full moon that barely managed to penetrate the trees. Something about this place was familiar to him. He began to wander, looking of someone to tell him where he was, but all he managed to do a become even more lost. As he stumbled around, he heard a bloody scream from somewhere behind him.

He began to run towards the direction the sound had come from, darting through the trees he started to see a light in the distance. As he burst into the light, he saw something that made his blood run cold. He was on the edge of a campsite, laying on the ground were two bodies of a young man and woman. Walking past them was a horrible beast, its claws and muzzle were dripping with blood. On the far side of the campsite stood a small tent and a young blonde woman. When she yelled, "Get away from him," he finally realized where he was.

This was the night he lost his nanny and the only positive familial relationship he had had in his entire childhood. Now he had to see it happening all over again.

He had to watch in horror as the beast closed in, the woman standing as a shield between it and the tent. As the beast raised it's claws, Alex decided this time he was not going to stand idly by and let it happen all over again. He charged, but they acted like he wasn't even there, or so he thought His nanny didn't react when he ran in screaming, nor did the beast, that is until he got close.

With one powerful swing of its arm, the creature sent Alex flying into the picnic table knocking off the supplies that were still on it. Dazed Alex laid there as he looked over the beast was playing it's role again as if he had never been there. As he struggled to his feet, he heard a young woman scream.

"Get back."

Looking up he had to watch as in what seemed like slow-motion as the beast swung its arm and hit the girl in the side of the face. Watching as the blow forced her head turned farther and farther until the inevitable crack.

He felt the emptiness of loss all over again; it was too painful to experience twice, but it strengthened his resolve at the same time. As the young woman fell to the ground, Alex jumped to his feet.

"Why?" He shouted at the creature positive that it could understand what he was saying.

"Why would you do this."

Silently the beast moved around the campsite positioning itself closer to the fire. Now that it was illuminated Alex could clearly make it out. The long pointy ears, the sharp fangs, the elongated muzzle, and the glowing ember eyes.

"Your a werewolf," Alex exclaimed, never had been able to identify the creature when he was a child.

The monster backed up into the shadows so that all it was was a silhouette.

Then the creature started to contort and shrink in size and Alex realized it was changing back to human form.

"Answer the question why did you do that?"

The figure was silent for a few seconds then finally responded.

"Because that's what a werewolf does, right?"

He instantly recognized the voice and knew who it was, but it was impossible.

The figure walked into the light of a fire, and Alex's fears were confirmed. Standing before him was himself, he was even wearing the same clothes, except they were stained with blood and torn.

"What are you?" Alex demanded staring the impostor down.

The other him just sneered, and shrugged.