Chapter One

Alex stood in the middle of a scene of carnage. Blood was spattered all over the walls of the stone room, glistening in the moonlight coming through the opening in the ceiling. The bodies of his fallen fellow soldiers lay all around, cuts across their chests and throats. As he stood there trying to comprehend all the bloodshed, he heard a moan. Realizing there was a survivor, Alex surveyed the scene till he spotted one of his team members laying against the wall. Without thinking, he rushed over and checked the man's pulse. As he did the man opened his eyes and stared up at him in horror. 

    “I'm being used as bait, run now,” the man gasped.

Before Alex could react he heard a sound from behind him, it was like something being scratched along the stone floor. He turned around quickly to see a figure hidden in the shadows. Alex raised his gun and fired several shots. The figure leaped into the air and knocked him over, and he cried out in pain as his shoulder was pierced.

    Alex opened his eyes to the sound of his alarm clock beeping. Turning the clock off, he did not get out of bed. That was the third time he had had that nightmare this month, and it was only the fifteenth. Looking at the clock again he decided he had to get up or risk making himself late. Pulling off the covers he got to his feet. Making his way to the bathroom he got in the shower. After drying and hurriedly getting some clothes on, he rushed down stairs. Entering the kitchen, he looked out the window at the forest at the edge of his backyard. There was nothing better than going for a run in the woods at night; perhaps he would go for one after it got dark. Making a piece of toast and an egg he sat down to read the newspaper.

    As he was reading an article about the obscene profits reported by Duard Industries, the phone rang. Deciding he had to stop reading anyway or risk ruining his morning Alex got up to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hey cousin, how are you doing this fine day?”

It was his cousin Roger, who was the only member of his family that he had real contact with.

“I'm okay, things could be worse,” Alex replied as he took his empty plate to the sink.

    “Hows the PTSD going?”

It was rather troublesome that his cousin always wanted to talk about that which Alex would rather forget. 

“It's fine, no trouble during the day.”

Alex felt this was an honest take, even if he wasn't forthcoming about the nightmares.

    “It must be lonely there all by yourself, I have this friend who is very attractive and has a lot of free time just like you.”

He wished Roger could go just one conversation without trying to set him up with someone.

“Look I'm fine with living in solitude, and you know it would not be fair for me and especially her for us to go out.”

Alex made his way to a door that had several bolt locks on it. Unlocking each one he headed down into the basement.

    “Besides I would probably just scare her away.”

There was the sound of laughter, and his cousin sighed.

“Look just don't show her your basement and I'm sure you will be fine.”

Smiling to himself Alex walked among all the exercise equipment and industrial tools. On the far side of the room, there was a wall of various weapons. He reached the counter and picked up the katana he had left out the night before.

“Yeah I suppose if she doesn't see that, she won't know I'm damaged till it's too late,” he smiled.

    His cousin's laughter suddenly stop, and he made an irritated growl.