Chapter Five: Luke

Chapter Five: Luke

            I wandered the dark streets, too restless to find someplace to go, too confused to go back to the cottage and face Edward and Luna.

            I’d seen the display in the bar—they’d thought I was drunk, but I could hold the amount of liquor I’d actually consumed. Most had been “accidentally” spilled, or handed around to other people sitting at the bar.

            I most definitely had not been too drunk to notice Edward’s fists clenching as he glanced over at Luna and the guy she was flirting with. He was easier to read in those moments than he’d ever been before: he was jealous.

            Which meant he cared for Luna.

            I didn’t know yet whether I was amused or angry about that. On the one hand, drawing actual human emotion out of Edward was difficult to manage, with his seemingly superhuman reserve.

            But this was Luna. My sister. My other half. And even though Edward was my best friend and I knew he would be nothing but good to her, I could hardly stand the idea of them being together.

            And so I wandered the streets, with no idea where I was going. Somehow, my feet led me to a building full of raucous laughter, bright lights, and music. I knew this place better than I should. I shook my head, turning to go.

            “Luke!” a breathy voice called after me.

            I looked back reluctantly, recognizing the voice. “Hello, Mariana,” I said.

            The tiny blonde girl smiled at me, throwing her arms around my neck. “It’s been so long since you came to see me last,” she said sadly. “I thought you had forgotten me.”

            I smiled humorlessly. “No, Ana, I can’t forget you that easily,” I said, closing my eyes. I could picture her bright green eyes looking at me quizzically.

            “I don’t have a customer right now,” she said, tugging at my hand. “You could come upstairs and we could—”

            “Not tonight, Ana,” I said lightly, not wanting to upset her. Mariana wasn’t suited for this business. She was too kind-hearted.

            “But I miss you,” she said, her voice quivering slightly. “You never come to see me anymore, and you always treat me so nice…”

            I sighed. This was exactly what I’d been afraid of. “Ana, most people don’t approve of me coming here,” I said gently.

            “That never stopped you before,” she said simply, looking up at me with tears in her eyes. “You were always so, so nice to me.”

            Her words twisted something in my chest. I wanted to go upstairs and forget everything—Edward, Luna, my father, the Rebellion—in the haze of drugs and booze and skin. Why was I trying so hard to resist what had been my life for the better part of two years?

            You’re better than they think you are… Luna’s words echoed in my head.

            I sighed again. “My father is watching me,” I said, the lie coming easily to my lips. “He’s got people keeping an eye on me all the time, waiting for the next time I slip. And I can’t risk him disowning me, now can I?”

            She looked up at me trustingly. “No,” she said sweetly, standing on tiptoes to kiss my cheek. “But come back soon?” she pleaded.