Chapter Five

"It was a bad idea to let Brittany change clothes", I realized. I had been waiting on her for the last hour minutes, judging whether her outfit looks good. No matter what I said, she still thought she looked bad in everything. After school ended she sought after me and I took a ride in her car to her house. I had stared at the mini-mansion in awe at first, but now I felt I could recite every single detail of it. However, I was still excited. After all, I had basically waited the whole day for this. Even lunch went by in a daze. Aubrey and Lexie just left me to think instead of prying me into the conversation, but I was thankful.

“Is this good?” She came out with a red halter tank tucked into some khaki shorts with a thin red belt. On her feet, she wore basic black flip-flops. Turning around, she showed me the complete view. If there was a way to show me an aerial view I bet she would have.

“I think it looks great - casual yet appropriate for going to a movie.” I nodded, to show the truth in my words. The outfit was good, no doubt. But by now I was tired of seeing the "Brittney Closet Extravaganza" and I just wanted to see the movie we were planning to see. With the hour wasted, we had no time to grab a bite to eat. We were lucky if we could even get popcorn at this time.

“I don’t think so,” she frowned, “it enlarges the wrong body parts! I will change again into the first outfit. It looks cute. I wonder why I didn’t wear it . . .”

I sighed again. Anything was a step up from the skimpy outfit she wore for school. She explained the reason she wore that is because she and Dani wanted a funny outfit for the first day of school. Although, she added, "I wouldn't mind wearing it again. Especially to impress Mr. Cutie!" I assume she meant her soon-to-be brother-in-law.

She came out in the first outfit again. “This dress is too long! I need to get it hemmed; past my knees is not an option.” Going back into the house, she muttered a few remarks about wondering why she bought it in the first place anyways.

Coming out in a yellow strapless sundress, she told me she was ready. I wanted to shout at her wondering why it took so long to get a simple dress when she could have just worn any of her other clothes. It actually butchered my self-esteem because she had so many clothes. "So. Many. Clothes."

“Want to change at your house? I could totally change your hairstyle!” She opened her eyes wide and clapped her hands together in excitement. I could see the numerous thoughts running through her head shining through her eyes.

Smoothing down my side-bangs that I got recently, I replied, ‘No thanks. I think my hair looks good.” Plus, there was the fact that we were late to the movie.

Going to her car, she opened the door and went inside, patiently waiting for me to clomp down her highway in my heels. I quicly sat inside, and put on my seatbelt. Surprised when Brittney started the engine without putting on her seatbelt, I pressed her on.

"Why arn't you putting on your seatbelt?" I tried to be as casual as I can but it came off a little needy. "I mean, just wondering."

"Yeah I don't wanna mess up my outfit. So what movie you wanna see. Ooo I know there's that movie that everybody's raving about! Let's go see that?"

"Wait . . . so you mean that you didn't know what we were going to be seeing when you asked me?"

She laughed, and the car lurched a bit. Hanging on to my seatbelt, she revealed, "Of course not! I mean if I knew what movie I was going to see what is the point in going to the movie and buying tickets. I could have done it . . . not then!"

I nodded, though I still did not understand the logic behind her statement. We arrived by the movie theater to be greeted by a bunch of other students in my school. They all acted as if it was such a great coincidence, but in reality this was a major hot-spot in our town.