A desolate island

A/N: Dedicated to rain_water, the constant curator/guardian of a great boyxboy library, for being the first one to give me feedback and encouragement here on Wattpad.

They were so annoyingly animated. Where did those people find the energy for that? And all that smiling. Didn't their cheeks start to hurt after a while? I leaned back in my chair, folded the paper that had been wrapped around my sandwich and watched Allen sitting by the long tables talking to Will and Ethan. I couldn't tell what they were talking about of course, their table was almost the other side of the cafeteria and I was no lip reader. Probably something boring like God or sports or something. The Brady bunch talked a lot about sports. And like TV. Who watched TV nowadays? I never did.

I was sitting at the corner of our table, with Adam and his spare chair opposite and then Kat next to me. Since last week I had tried to face the windows, just to check if Allen was going to sit next to Lisa again. So far he hadn't, so mission intimidate might have worked. Not that she seemed interested, or anyone else for that matter. The buzz had died out real quickly. Rich parents or not, Allen was too plain, boring and Christian to appeal to anyone outside the Bradford/choir girl clique, and their extended circle. Today, a week after his arrival, people were talking about cheerleader Lashania Harris breaking up with her boyfriend for the second time this fall, and Allen sat at the table by the windows like he'd been doing nothing else for the last three years. Some people really had no trouble finding their place in the world.

"What are you doing?" Adam snapped his fingers in front of my face, looking at me oddly from the other side of the table. Without noticing I had folded the paper too many times, ending up with a square lump of paper just travelling from one hand to the other. 

"Nothing." I quickly dropped the paper onto the table and brushed it away, but Adam's eyes narrowed. 

"Man, don't be fucking weird." 

"I'm not!" I crossed my arms, trying to look as unweird as I possibly could, but it didn't satisfy Adam. "Dude, you were like all weird yesterday too, just sitting there with your thinking-face on. What's up?"

My thinking-face was what Adam called it when I was so lost in thought I went all blank, not noticing anything around me. But sitting in his basement with Jason and Spence, listening to them recapping the awesomeness that had been their Halloween it wasn't so strange that I didn't pay full attention. Not that I could remember what I might have been thinking so deeply about. I could tell Kat was listening in on us discreetly, while pretending to nod at something Mel was saying, and I knew what it meant. Girls always analyzing everything from every fucking angle. I did my own analyzing so I could do without it, thankyouverymuch.

"Nothing!" I stated firmly, "And I'm not acting weird!" I grabbed the folded lump of paper and tossed it, hitting his ear. 

"Whatever dickhead, just like trying show that I care," he muttered and rolled his eyes, moving from his chair to his spare, turning to Ryan instead. And I felt a bit guilty, knowing that he did care.

Adam sometimes made me think of a hamster, with his round face and dark eyes and slightly too large teeth. The floppy black hair that fell over his forehead and curled around his ears, made his face even rounder. Actually all of Adam was round, not like in fat, but a bit pudgy. Maybe it was kinda mean likening your best friend to a hamster. But I would never say it out loud, and it wasn't like being a bit hamsterish stopped him from getting lucky.

He had a thing for bossy girls that wanted to be the center of attention, and that he in turn wanted to give all his attention to. Him and Trish had been a cute couple, the first two months, happy together and happier when you met them on their own too. Maybe Mel's romantic spirit was rubbing of on me, because I kinda wished they'd get back together. And not only because I was fed up with listening to their respective whining.